VOGONS

Reply 40 of 50, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you had gone for the ESS Solo-1 you wouldn't have had half the trouble 🤣

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 41 of 50, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could also be that the chipset has a different ID than the normal ICH4 for whatever reason and we need to make a special setupds.exe for it.

I have these cards in multiple systems without the PC/PCI header and was able to get all of them working with DDMA.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 42 of 50, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
Do you have PnP OS enabled or disabled in BIOS? Is there even a setting for that with the motherboard you are using? […]
Show full quote

Do you have PnP OS enabled or disabled in BIOS? Is there even a setting for that with the motherboard you are using?

What setupds.exe are you using?

You may need to F8 and keep setupds.exe from loading through autoexec.bat because if you install the driver, it sets it up to run "setupds.exe /s"

Sometimes that prevents the settings from being changed.

PnP OS isn't an option, however under PnP/PCI in the motherboard's BIOS I have the ability to assign IRQs to either PCI Device or Reserved. I've tried both leaving those at auto and manually assigning all the IRQs to PCI Device and nothing changes in setupds.exe ver 3.16.

I tried the F8 thing and that didn't help either.

cyclone3d wrote:

Could also be that the chipset has a different ID than the normal ICH4 for whatever reason and we need to make a special setupds.exe for it.

I have these cards in multiple systems without the PC/PCI header and was able to get all of them working with DDMA.

What can I do to help?

Reply 43 of 50, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Flare wrote:
PnP OS isn't an option, however under PnP/PCI in the motherboard's BIOS I have the ability to assign IRQs to either PCI Device o […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote:
Do you have PnP OS enabled or disabled in BIOS? Is there even a setting for that with the motherboard you are using? […]
Show full quote

Do you have PnP OS enabled or disabled in BIOS? Is there even a setting for that with the motherboard you are using?

What setupds.exe are you using?

You may need to F8 and keep setupds.exe from loading through autoexec.bat because if you install the driver, it sets it up to run "setupds.exe /s"

Sometimes that prevents the settings from being changed.

PnP OS isn't an option, however under PnP/PCI in the motherboard's BIOS I have the ability to assign IRQs to either PCI Device or Reserved. I've tried both leaving those at auto and manually assigning all the IRQs to PCI Device and nothing changes in setupds.exe ver 3.16.

I tried the F8 thing and that didn't help either.

cyclone3d wrote:

What can I do to help?

According to the motherboard manual, there should most definitely be a PnP OS option in the BIOS.

Did you download and try the modified setupds.exe for ich4 from my google drive which I linked earlier?

I'll take a look to find out what we need to do to check the chipset ID to make sure it matches what the normal ich4 is.

Edit: Found my instructions with steps to get stuff configured.... I was wrong earlier.. setupds /s does need to be run first in order to initialize the card so you can change settings.

1. Run "SETUPDS /s" from DOS. This will initialize the card so you can actually change stuff in the configuration.
2. Run "SETUPDS" from DOS. This will bring up the configuration/test part of the program.
3. Change the DMA mode from PC-PCI to D-DMA.
4. You can try testing the sound now. All modes should show up. When testing Sound Blaster 8-bit, it will most likely say it can't find DMA at 1. Change it to 0 and try again. It should work.
5. Save and exit. This will not update the SET BLASTER setting in Autoexec.bat. You will need to change "D1" to "D0" as well as any other settings you changed such as the I/O and IRQ.

Here are the other threads for the Yamaha PCI ccards:
YMF744, DOS, no DMA? (PC/PCI, SB-link tests) (edit YES DMA, read further down)
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide
Re: Yamaha PCI YMF-724 DOS Compatibility Thread

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 44 of 50, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
According to the motherboard manual, there should most definitely be a PnP OS option in the BIOS. […]
Show full quote

According to the motherboard manual, there should most definitely be a PnP OS option in the BIOS.

Did you download and try the modified setupds.exe for ich4 from my google drive which I linked earlier?

I'll take a look to find out what we need to do to check the chipset ID to make sure it matches what the normal ich4 is.

Edit: Found my instructions with steps to get stuff configured.... I was wrong earlier.. setupds /s does need to be run first in order to initialize the card so you can change settings.

1. Run "SETUPDS /s" from DOS. This will initialize the card so you can actually change stuff in the configuration.
2. Run "SETUPDS" from DOS. This will bring up the configuration/test part of the program.
3. Change the DMA mode from PC-PCI to D-DMA.
4. You can try testing the sound now. All modes should show up. When testing Sound Blaster 8-bit, it will most likely say it can't find DMA at 1. Change it to 0 and try again. It should work.
5. Save and exit. This will not update the SET BLASTER setting in Autoexec.bat. You will need to change "D1" to "D0" as well as any other settings you changed such as the I/O and IRQ.

Here are the other threads for the Yamaha PCI ccards:
YMF744, DOS, no DMA? (PC/PCI, SB-link tests) (edit YES DMA, read further down)
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide
Re: Yamaha PCI YMF-724 DOS Compatibility Thread

The pictures in the manual are what I see, no options for PnP OS.

I deleted all the audio files from my hard drive and autoexec.bat, and started over fresh with the modified setupds file in the installer.

On startup autoexec.bat takes me to the setup program. (Which is odd because it didn't do that before) And I still can't get it to find a setting that works.

I ran HWInfo in Windows 98 and saved a log if that helps you.

Edit: I finally got HWInfo working in DOS and wrote down the available DMAs and IRQs:

DMAs 0,1,3,5,6, and 7 are free, 4 appears to be assigned to PnP.
IRQs 10, 11, and 12 are free, 3,4, and 7 might be usable because they were assigned to the serial and parallel ports, which I disabled.

Attachments

• Filename
    WOPR.LOG
    File size
    49.21 KiB
    Downloads
    35 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 45 of 50, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARUS wrote:

Thanks a lot Kamerat! Later I'll try it. I bought 4DWave especially for solder 5-pin connector and test it on SB Link bus.

I think you're main expert about PCI DOS sound on this site and I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1) I have soldered 5 pins on my D850MV motherboard and found that SIRQ line hasn't resistor soldered, only DMA line has it. And Yamaha's SETUPDS doesn't let me choose SIRQ. It is PCI IRQ only available. Can I solder resistor on SIRQ line on mobo and get this option? If yes what value of resistance?

I'm not sure about this, perhaps the values of the restistors are listed in the ICH2 documentation. Think I used the modified SETUPDS downloaded from here on my 810/ICH(1) board with PC/PCI.

PARUS wrote:

2) Is it true that Trident's wavetable connector can't work in pure DOS?

You can access the cards MPU-401 interface directly by using PCI base address +20h, but it doesn't work after the card have been initialized in to Sound Blaster emulation (only tried this in DDMA mode). 😵 I'm not even sure if the wavetable connector are unmuted by default as I only have tried this with an external synth.

PARUS wrote:

3) Also I want to see what would happened if I connect YMF and Trident to PC/PCI connector together for getting SB+FM+SB16 compatibility. Yamaha will occupy 220/5/1 (or 220/7/1) and what about Trident? Can it work with 240/9/0/5 or 240/5/3/6 for example? I explain my wish: I found that SB16 compatible cards don't work well in SB/SBpro mode. "Clean SBpro" compatible cards do it usually much better. And in my ISA sound system I always use separately SBpro and SB16 compatible cards. Resources are 220/7/1 and 240/5/0/5. I want to try repeat it with two PCI cards on one SB Link bus.

Never seen anyone using multiple PC/PCI connected cards, keep us updated if you try it out. Accordig to WAVEINIT you can use address 220/240, IRQ 5/7/10/2 (or the PCI IRQ of the card) and DMA 0/1 so games like Duke Nukem 3D need some manual editing of the configuration file to get SB16 working with low DMA. The 4DWave can be set to differnt DSP modes (DSP 1.05, 2.01, 3.02 or 4.05) so Sound Blaster compatibility should be covered.

PARUS wrote:

Thank you in advance!

Good luck! 😊

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 46 of 50, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

Are you sure about this? I've never been able to run any PCI sound cards on an ICH southbridge in DDMA mode, however I had some success running a YMF744 card using the DSDMA TSR included in the driver package located at Yamahas website on several newer chipsets.

Edit:

cyclone3d wrote:

Not sure if I ever tried DMA 0, perhaps I should investigate a little bit further.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 48 of 50, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Flare wrote:
On startup autoexec.bat takes me to the setup program. (Which is odd because it didn't do that before) And I still can't get i […]
Show full quote

On startup autoexec.bat takes me to the setup program. (Which is odd because it didn't do that before) And I still can't get it to find a setting that works.

Edit: I finally got HWInfo working in DOS and wrote down the available DMAs and IRQs:

IRQs 10, 11, and 12 are free, 3,4, and 7 might be usable because they were assigned to the serial and parallel ports, which I disabled.

Ok, so add "/S" to the setupds.exe line in autoexec.bat. The /S is what tells it to initialize the card. Without the /S, it goes into the configuration part of the program. It has to be initialized before you go into the setup part of the program or else it will not let you change any settings.

Also, for the PnP OS setting, it is mentioned on page 46 of the manual even though it is not shown in the picture of the menu on the same page.... weird.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 49 of 50, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
Flare wrote:
On startup autoexec.bat takes me to the setup program. (Which is odd because it didn't do that before) And I still can't get i […]
Show full quote

Ok, so add "/S" to the setupds.exe line in autoexec.bat. The /S is what tells it to initialize the card. Without the /S, it goes into the configuration part of the program. It has to be initialized before you go into the setup part of the program or else it will not let you change any settings.

Also, for the PnP OS setting, it is mentioned on page 46 of the manual even though it is not shown in the picture of the menu on the same page.... weird.

It's already set like that...

@ECHO OFF
REM C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
LH /L:2,27952 C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:IDECD000
copy C:\YAMAHA\DS-XG\DOS4GW.EXE \
chcp 437
C:\YAMAHA\DS-XG\SETUPDS.EXE /S
del \DOS4GW.EXE
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4

Reply 50 of 50, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, I'm going to have to put together another system with an ICH cipset and do some testing. I think I already have one put together with one of these cards but not 100% sure. I have too many builds and projects going on to keep track of.

In any case, I'll do some testing and report back on what I find.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK