VOGONS

First post, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While the title may suggest that I'm talking about the game, I'm actually here to talk about two sound cards that I have had die on me for reasons that I don't understand. As it stands right now, I have had both a PCI X-Fi Xtreme Music and a PCIe X-Fi Titanium stop working correctly after running the game with EAX on.

The Xtreme Music is currently sitting unused because it just spits out a Code 10 when connected, and in the rare instances that I actually get the driver to function, it doesn't actually output sound.

The Titanium seems to partially work, in that the drivers seem to function, and I am even able to get sound out of it when windows is starting up, but the moment that I enter Jedi Outcast, I don't get sound from the game, and suddenly don't have any sound devices according to windows. What is stranger still is that the windows sounds, the ones that accompany things like error messages, can still be heard despite windows not reporting that there is a sound device.

As a bit of extra information, the game has also started to run at an absolutely abysmal framerate for me since these sound issues started happening. Even the menus are running at sub-30fps, and in certain scenes, I'm getting 3 fps on a 7900 GTX. These issues may not be related, but are too coincidental for me to not mention them.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 1 of 4, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would guess you have a hardware issue and not a software one. Do you play any other games enough so that you would notice similar issues? Like other games that don’t use EAX run fine? If you swap in a different sound card or use onboard sound you have no issues with Jedi Outcast?

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 2 of 4, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't have the aforementioned issues when playing other games, at least before the issues cropped up. If it were a hardware issue, though, why would windows sounds continue playing despite the OS not reporting that there is sound hardware installed?

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 3 of 4, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What kind of power supply are you using? How old?

In fact, post your full system specs, please.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 4 of 4, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Power Supply is a Corsair CX 600, and system specs are as follows:
CPU: Core 2 Duo e6700
MB: Asus P5L-MX (running the latest available BIOS)
RAM: A single 2GB stick of Samsung DDR2 667 (Temporary. I recently ordered two 1GB sticks, and only of them actually worked. I'm aware of the benefits of Dual Channel, and will be finding a better set soon)
Storage: Silicon Power 120GB SATA SSD
GPU: Dell branded 7900GTX

I've also made an effort to cable manage within my case to prevent anything from accidentally making contact, which is harder than it sounds in a mATX build. I can also confirm that the X-Fi Platinum does work correctly immediately after installing the driver again, but fails to be found after resets. It also seems to be listed as a System device in Device Manager when not detected but working. There's also usually a "Unknown device" that accompanies it when windows boots up.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png