Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by PoV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dreamblaster wrote:

How about this feature ?
now that there's a CPU, considering to send 'all notes off' on bootup
--> this will allow to shutdown midi hanging notes by pressing reset.

Definitely! That would be really great. Having to write a script to do this was one of the first things I needed when I started playing with my SC-88.

I was about to say I wish the S2P had a button, but I just noticed it actually does. Doh! 😅

dreamblaster wrote:

The PCB is ready and soldered ...

Awesome. I'm really loving all these parallel audio interfaces. 😁

Mike Kasprzak | twitter

Reply 21 of 26, by boomlinde

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am very much looking forward to this! I have been looking for a solution to get a MIDI output from laptops running DOS without having to find a PCMCIA MIDI interface (which seem rare enough). I am planning to support this directly in my software for MIDI sync/start/stop. Is the idea still to provide an interface compatible with the S2P?

Reply 22 of 26, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boomlinde wrote:

I have been looking for a solution to get a MIDI output from laptops running DOS without having to find a PCMCIA MIDI interface (which seem rare enough).

All you need for this is SoftMPU and any MIDI module with a serial interface (so almost every unit since the SC-55 Mk.2).

Reply 23 of 26, by boomlinde

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:
boomlinde wrote:

I have been looking for a solution to get a MIDI output from laptops running DOS without having to find a PCMCIA MIDI interface (which seem rare enough).

All you need for this is SoftMPU and any MIDI module with a serial interface (so almost every unit since the SC-55 Mk.2).

In my case, only if the MIDI module also passes the data on the RS232 port to its MIDI through or output port, which I believe isn't the case for e.g. SC-55. Personally I'm not looking to use a GM module, but to sequence and synchronize to MIDI hardware in general, for example a drum machine, The fact that you can connect an SC-55 to RS232 doesn't help me in that regard, while the hardware proposed here is perfect for it.

This also makes sense from the perspective that even if you have an SC-55 or similar, a lot of laptops only have a single serial port and no PS/2 ports, so you may want to use that for a serial mouse.

Reply 24 of 26, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Boomlinde,
no progress to report on this project yet.
The hardware is ready, but i didn't get to writing the firmware yet..
Grtz!
S

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 25 of 26, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boomlinde wrote:

In my case, only if the MIDI module also passes the data on the RS232 port to its MIDI ... output port....

This is exactly what the RS-232-capable Roland/Korg/Yamaha/etc. units do, for what it's worth.

Reply 26 of 26, by boomlinde

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote:
boomlinde wrote:

In my case, only if the MIDI module also passes the data on the RS232 port to its MIDI ... output port....

This is exactly what the RS-232-capable Roland/Korg/Yamaha/etc. units do, for what it's worth.

Thanks, I've read through the manual for SC-55MkII now and you're absolutely right. However, it seems a bit overkill for my application, but I haven't checked eBay prices for these kinds of GM modules lately.

dreamblaster wrote:
Hi Boomlinde, no progress to report on this project yet. The hardware is ready, but i didn't get to writing the firmware yet.. […]
Show full quote

Hi Boomlinde,
no progress to report on this project yet.
The hardware is ready, but i didn't get to writing the firmware yet..
Grtz!
S

Thanks for the update!