VOGONS

First post, by aquishix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is complete unavailability of gen 2 MT-32s on the used market but occasionally MT-100s and CM-32Ls show up on eBay. From what I've read, those (and other LA devices with similar form factors?) are based off of the gen 2 MT-32.

I really want to have a gen 2 MT-32 in order to avoid the frustrating "Exc. Buffer Overflow" errors -- but I also want the LCD read out for SysEx messages that the gen 1 and gen 2 MT-32s have.

Thus, I had the idea of using the motherboard from one of those other devices as a way of creating a gen 2 MT-32 from the chassis, LCD readout, and front panel controls of a gen 1 MT-32.

Does anyone have enough of a grasp of the design of these machines to know if that idea is plausible? All I have are gen 1 MT-32s, so I can't take these things apart to compare the circuitry. I would be willing to do the soldering and chassis modification (if necessary) to pull this off, but I don't want to start a project like that unless I know that it's doable.

Reply 1 of 2, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually, I am interested in a gen 1 MT-32, specifically to study the Exc. Buffer Overflow bug, and possibly patch software that suffers from it.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 2 of 2, by aquishix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scali wrote:

Actually, I am interested in a gen 1 MT-32, specifically to study the Exc. Buffer Overflow bug, and possibly patch software that suffers from it.

I'll gladly be your source. I sent you a PM.