VOGONS

First post, by PiZZAMAN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been sitting a few days trying to get this card to work. But to no avail. I've tried all sorts of Aztech and Crystal drivers. My installation of Windows 95 recognizes it as a Creative Labs Sound Blaster though. But still won't work. Even tried sifting through the vogonsdriver pack for aztech but didn't get any wiser there either.

ubsixXv.jpg

Reply 1 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The AZT2316A is a non-PnP chip. You can configure the I/O Address with a jumper (JMPB0, as indicated on the silkscreen in the pic). For the rest you need the Aztech tool CONFIG.EXE which can be found on the official Aztech disk for the card. After you have set DMA for SB, IRQ for SB and MIDI and address for MIDI, you can install the drivers and point them to the correct resources. You would generally want to go for A220, I5, D1, P330 and MIDI IRQ 2/9.

All Aztech ISA drivers can be found in this archive:
http://vogonsdrivers.com/files/Aztech_ISA_cards.zip

Now, you have the I38-MMSN824. That has various marketing names, such as Sound Galaxy Pro 16 II, Sound Galaxy Washington 16 and Packard Bell 030056. I had this card and used the Sound Galaxy Pro 16 II drivers, see here:
https://ilovepa.ws/2017/06/08/aztech-sound-cards/

Running CONFIG.EXE from the driver will allow you to configure each of the different features of the card. My I38-MMSN824 worked fine with the Voyager drivers, so if your version doesn't detect your card, keep looking!

Those drivers half worked for me - CONFIG.EXE detected the card, I could set resources and it would output sound as required. What I could not do was set the mixer (MIXER.EXE did NOT detect the card), resulting in an unmuted MIC line (noooise : ( ) and general volume so high it caused clipping.

I never found drivers that solved that, instead I found an I38-MMSN826, wich is basically the same card, but with a Wavetable chip+RAM onboard. On this one I can access the mixer, but not the wavetable-stuff. Oh well, progress I suppose. I sold the I38-MMSN824, so can't help try different drivers any more.

Reply 4 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's the correct drivers and utilities for your model number.

Filename
VY212.RAR
File size
2.59 MiB
Downloads
118 downloads
File comment
I38-MMSN824
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This card was normally bundled with Multimedia kits like the Stellar & Voyager Multimedia kits.

Reply 5 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not familiar with that driver archive, but you generally need Win3.1 to unpack the original Aztech (DOS) drivers. Be prepared.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

I'm not familiar with that driver archive, but you generally need Win3.1 to unpack the original Aztech (DOS) drivers. Be prepared.

This is the case for some of the models but, not all of them.
In other cases, there was a DOS installer also bundled with the drivers (Install.exe)