VOGONS

First post, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I received two Korg sound modules: an AG-10 (headless halfrack synth) and the I/O Data rebranded version of the AG-3: the MIDI-KG/APW. Since the AG-10 is actually the version for Japanese PC-98 systems and the AG-3 is very rare and Japan-exclusive, I figured I'd make a little topic for them.

First up is the AG-3/MIDI-KG/APW (Apple version). This one was pretty much complete save the Mac serial cable.

Box:

IMG_9322.jpg
Filename
IMG_9322.jpg
File size
141.39 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_9323.jpg
Filename
IMG_9323.jpg
File size
113.88 KiB
Views
File license

Inner packaging included:

IMG_9324.jpg
Filename
IMG_9324.jpg
File size
69.11 KiB
Views
File license

100V AC to 12V DC adapter and both audio cables:

IMG_9325.jpg
Filename
IMG_9325.jpg
File size
207.51 KiB
Views
File license

As the MIDI-KG/APW has an audio-in, one cable is to hook up to the computer's audio out, while the other plugs into your speakers from the module's audio outs.

Paperwork etc.:

IMG_9326.jpg
Filename
IMG_9326.jpg
File size
120.29 KiB
Views
File license

Apparently, one of the programs included is for NIFTYserve, Japan's version of Compuserve.

continued in my next post

Reply 1 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Floppies:

IMG_9327.jpg
Filename
IMG_9327.jpg
File size
193.77 KiB
Views
File license

Curiously, the Korg software is dated 1997, while the included eMagic promotion disk is dated 1992-4. I have no idea what microLogic is, I actually expected the module to come with eMagic SoundDiver...

The manual page with the module specifications:

IMG_9328.jpg
Filename
IMG_9328.jpg
File size
108.92 KiB
Views
File license

The specifications are almost exactly the same as for the Korg AG-10, except for the power adapter. However, there is one other difference...we'll come to that later.

MIDI chart:

IMG_9330.jpg
Filename
IMG_9330.jpg
File size
104.01 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_9331.jpg
Filename
IMG_9331.jpg
File size
95.37 KiB
Views
File license

continued next post...

Reply 2 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The software CD actually was a bit of a surprise, as it is a Windows/Mac CD:

IMG_9336.jpg
Filename
IMG_9336.jpg
File size
175.85 KiB
Views
File license

The software appears to be for Windows 3.1 and later and Mac OS 7.5 and later. I'm not entirely sure what the Music Navigator is meant to be; one of the pictures in the manual makes it look like a softsynth similar to Roland's Virtual SoundCanvases and Yamaha's S-YXG softsynths.

And now the module itself:

IMG_9333.jpg
Filename
IMG_9333.jpg
File size
111.63 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_9334.jpg
Filename
IMG_9334.jpg
File size
96.14 KiB
Views
File license

I had to look in the manual to discover where the MIDI ports were hidden. What may look like an integrated speaker on some pictures is actually a removable cover:

IMG_9335.jpg
Filename
IMG_9335.jpg
File size
88.45 KiB
Views
File license

The MIDI-KG/APW is quite small. Here it is on top of the AG-10:

IMG_9342.jpg
Filename
IMG_9342.jpg
File size
77.45 KiB
Views
File license

Next up: the AG-10.

Reply 3 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the AG-10 is of course just a GM module.

This one comes with the PC-98 software for NEC's PC-9801 platform, a range of mostly Japan-exclusive systems that used many of the same chipsets as in IBM PC compatibles, except with a different hardware implementation. Although the systems run DOS/V (Japanese MS-DOS) and Windows, most programs written for them can't run on IBM compatibles, only starting to converge when Windows 95 became available in a PC-98 version.

Cables and accessories:

IMG_9337.jpg
Filename
IMG_9337.jpg
File size
208.44 KiB
Views
File license

I'm missing one of the Korg-branded vertical mounts, but since I will be putting the AG-10 in my rack that won't matter. The serial cable included may look IBM-compatible, but it isn't:

IMG_9338.jpg
Filename
IMG_9338.jpg
File size
151.66 KiB
Views
File license

The pin-out is PC-98 specific. It might be that the 25 to 9 pin adapter is actually a converter for IBM PCs, but I'll have to check the connections with a multimeter to be sure...

Software:

IMG_9339.jpg
Filename
IMG_9339.jpg
File size
142.44 KiB
Views
File license

All software is for DOS/V, so it will not work on IBM PC compatible DOSses. The Kuwatec software is an oddity: in the screenshots in the manual it looks like it is all in English, despite having been released only in Japan. I wonder whether it will work in an emulator...

Manuals:

IMG_9343.jpg
Filename
IMG_9343.jpg
File size
90.72 KiB
Views
File license

One of the programs provided is a software arpeggiator with its own MIDI chart:

IMG_9344.jpg
Filename
IMG_9344.jpg
File size
112.31 KiB
Views
File license

continued next post...

Reply 4 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another, Tool de Music, is a sequencer, also with its own MIDI spec:

IMG_9345.jpg
Filename
IMG_9345.jpg
File size
105.4 KiB
Views
File license

The AG-10 itself has the same MIDI spec as the MIDI-KG/APW (the charts are exactly the same), except for one thing: the AG-10 accepts special Korg-exclusive sysex messages that can be used to change how the AG-10 processes other MIDI messages, making it possible to split messages between the AG-10 and another Korg module attached to the MIDI OUT port. This effectively means it is possible to chain multiple Korg AG-10 modules and make them play in unison as if they were one module (Yamaha TX-816-style).

Curiously, the Korg serial driver installation instructions come on a printed out sheet:

IMG_9346.jpg
Filename
IMG_9346.jpg
File size
129.2 KiB
Views
File license

AG-10 pictures:

IMG_9340.jpg
Filename
IMG_9340.jpg
File size
93.39 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_9341.jpg
Filename
IMG_9341.jpg
File size
103.13 KiB
Views
File license

Attachments

• IMG_9340.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_9340.jpg
    File size
    93.39 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 5 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aaaaaaand it looks like the AG-10 is in need of a recap and possibly some continuity checks on some connectors. Popping noise upon starting it, takes a while to warm up before sound comes out, high line noise, a dead left channel on the headphones out but not on the main outs. 😒 Looking at the circuit board, at least one small cap is bulging.

The MIDI-KG/APW however sounds great, despite looking more used than the AG-10. It is also five years newer, so most likely doesn't suffer from Korg's bad capacitor issue that their early 1990s modules are somewhat reputed for - although I thought the AG-10 (1992) was not on the list of affected modules.

Fortunately, the units lack a battery so no problems there... 😀

Reply 6 of 7, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry to hear about the AG-10 situation. It's a seemingly common problem, unfortunately; I have 05r/w and SC-88 units in similar states of repair candidacy.

Despite the associated movie sucking, here's something fun to run through your AG-3:
http://www.symphoniae.com/misc/KJ14-010.MID

Reply 7 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

Aaaaaaand it looks like the AG-10 is in need of a recap and possibly some continuity checks on some connectors. Popping noise upon starting it, takes a while to warm up before sound comes out, high line noise, a dead left channel on the headphones out but not on the main outs. 😒 Looking at the circuit board, at least one small cap is bulging.

Alternate solution: swapping the original and rather tired looking PSU for a generic 12V center-negative unit. This cut down the noise to more acceptable levels. The headphones out connector is wobbly and has a bad connection.