VOGONS

First post, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Folks, could someone please identify the card on picture below? It's presumably some variant of SG NX (Pro?), but so far I couldn't find 100% working drivers for it. The SG tools sometimes identify the card as Sound Galaxy EX, although NX Pro drivers identify it as NX Pro. FM music doesn't play in SG test tool, but sound works. On the other hand, in Doom II, FM works, but sound does not.

The card has volume knob and some sort of 50pin female expansion connector. No FCC ID, though! I found pictures of similar cards, but they've been (falsely) described as NX Pro (which should have SCSI interface, correct?).
Chips are AZT-NXPMIX0592 and AZTSSPT0592-U01. The small one marked "A" is an Intel microcontroller. The expansion port looks like it's mostly ISA signals. It has true Yamaha 262 OPL.

Thanks!

aztech.jpg
Filename
aztech.jpg
File size
710.23 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's an Aztech Labs Sound Galaxy NX Pro (a.k.a. CPS Sound Blaster Pro 4.0). Own that one as well:

retro-net.de/soundcards/gallery-images/ ... 204.0).jpg

NX Pro with SCSI is called NX Pro Extra, btw. Most people don't care and drop the "Extra" when talking about the SCSI-equipped card.

Reply 4 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So since you have sound working in some stuff and FM working in some stuff I would say the card is A-OK.

Sounds to me like a driver or configuration issue.

What speed is the system you are using this card on? Pretty sure this card is speed sensitive.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have two of these cards and I can confirm that the NX Pro is speed sensitive. A Pentium1 is already too fast.
A 386 or slower 486 is the ideal hardware to pair this with.

Reply 6 of 8, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've tried NX Pro drivers from the Vogon's Aztech megapack 😀 I've actually tried two different versions, the first one didn't detect the card.
It's a good idea with that speed - I was testing on K6/266. When I fix that 386, I'll try it there too.

Reply 7 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can try and slow down your CPU by disabling your L1 cache (try Setmul).
Also, since this is a non PnP card, you need to check that you have no resource conflicts.

Reply 8 of 8, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've actually fixed that 386 already - just a few broken traces, one socket and few passives replaced, nothing big. I'll test the card when I get back to my office (where I keep some of my junk).