VOGONS

First post, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I have received the MicroWave PC extension.
Unfortunately a coil is missing and I do not know which specs it have (µH, mH?). I think it is used to filter the digital signal.
Can a vogons user help me out? Would be cool!

The copper coil is show on this picture: (bottom left)
http://studiorepair.com/gallery/Waldorf/Micro … 0808106793.html

Reply 1 of 13, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have this unit in my collection, however it is in Russia while I'm in Argentina. I'm planning a short visit for July, if you give me an exact indication of how I get the needed value(s), I'll do my best to help.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 2 of 13, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi thanks a lot.
I was able to repair the device, but I do not know if I used the right device. I soldered this one in:
https://www.reichelt.de/stehende-induktivitae … gKTPvD_BwE&&r=1

The Waldorf Micro Wave PC works when connected to the EWS 64, I read that it is also possible to use it with a PCI sound card: DMX 6fire 24/96
In this case it seems to be necessary to connect a converter board:
http://terratec.ultron.info/Audio/DMX6fireLT/ … ckzettel_DE.pdf
I ask myself why this board is necessary.

Reply 3 of 13, by delon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Sorry for the awakening this topic but does anyone here still have the Microwave PC? I want to rekindle my love for it but I cannot find the ribbon cable(s) to connect it to the DMX 6Fire. These are now impossible to find (unless you buy an overpriced EWS ISA bundle). I wonder if the ribbon-like one can be DIY'd from a 26(?)-pin ribbon cable if you have the pin layout (which is, again, not documented anywhere on the net). As for the candy strip-like one, I don't know...

Any ideas?

Cheers,
delon

Reply 4 of 13, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Delon, I have one, please drop me a line in December - we are moving now, so everything is packed and stored.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 6 of 13, by stmill1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, Delon

You can use a regular 26 pin flat cable
Anyway you will have to customize it to have the 2 twisted wires as shown. connected pins are identical on both side so I don't know why they did that..
I can't try with a standard 26pins cable as I don't own one.

You can check here too : http://studiorepair.com/gallery/Waldorf/Micro … 0808106803.html
I don't own adapters shown on the picture, never had. The module is working fine without
Works in windows 7 (even whenn you use an external PCI adapter
Anyway, in windows 10/11 control panel is not stable and microwave software is not alway loading properly.

Stef

delon wrote on 2022-10-28, 08:17:
Sorry for the awakening this topic but does anyone here still have the Microwave PC? I want to rekindle my love for it but I can […]
Show full quote

Sorry for the awakening this topic but does anyone here still have the Microwave PC? I want to rekindle my love for it but I cannot find the ribbon cable(s) to connect it to the DMX 6Fire. These are now impossible to find (unless you buy an overpriced EWS ISA bundle). I wonder if the ribbon-like one can be DIY'd from a 26(?)-pin ribbon cable if you have the pin layout (which is, again, not documented anywhere on the net). As for the candy strip-like one, I don't know...

Any ideas?

Cheers,
delon

Attachments

Reply 7 of 13, by delon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stmill1 wrote on 2022-11-12, 15:12:

Hi, Delon

Hi Stef,

Sorry I was totally away from the net (work & illness).

Amazing info you posted here, thank you! Yes, I knew the Studio Repair site but I couldn't see on the pictures how the individual pins were interconnected (and he didn't reply to my emails). I am still confused as on your picture, the pins are identical yet I clearly remember the MWPC manual states that you shouldn't use a standard 26-pin flat cable as it may damage equipment...

I remember the other (candy-coloured) ribbon cable was used for analog inputs. I might not use analog I/O but I do need MIDI input. Do you miss any functionality by using the flat cable only?

Thanks,
delon

Reply 8 of 13, by delon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Meanwhile, I checked eBay and there are a couple of EWS XL's for sale w/ frontbays. I attached pictures about them and I see no twists in their cables. I know that you can attach an MWPC to an EWS XL using the same cable so theoretically, a simple 26-pin flat cable should indeed work with the DMX 6Fire as well. Am I right?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    445.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    File size
    170.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    File size
    371.53 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 11 of 13, by stmill1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

By the way

I'm actually finalizing 2 vintages PC machine with EWS64XL + pentium 3 W98 on SD64GB installed, fully functionnal.
So if anybody is interested just MP me !

I will post the full description in another thread, but I need to find the right one.

Stef

Reply 12 of 13, by stmill1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
delon wrote on 2022-12-19, 11:48:
Hi Stef, […]
Show full quote
stmill1 wrote on 2022-11-12, 15:12:

Hi, Delon

Hi Stef,

Sorry I was totally away from the net (work & illness).

Amazing info you posted here, thank you! Yes, I knew the Studio Repair site but I couldn't see on the pictures how the individual pins were interconnected (and he didn't reply to my emails). I am still confused as on your picture, the pins are identical yet I clearly remember the MWPC manual states that you shouldn't use a standard 26-pin flat cable as it may damage equipment...

I remember the other (candy-coloured) ribbon cable was used for analog inputs. I might not use analog I/O but I do need MIDI input. Do you miss any functionality by using the flat cable only?

Thanks,
delon

Hi Delon, did you solve your qyery or do you want me to check again the calbe and try to help you building a new one ?

Reply 13 of 13, by delon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stmill1 wrote on 2023-02-01, 11:23:

Hi Delon, did you solve your qyery or do you want me to check again the calbe and try to help you building a new one ?

Hi Stef,

Sorry, I was busy, too. Yes, I am still interested! Sending PM...