VOGONS

First post, by peklop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi.
Is PCI sound chip EV1938 based on Ensoniq AudioPCI (ES137x) or on OPTi MachOne (Ectiva EV1935) technnology?
I know chip used Ensoniq Soundbanks but was produced by ex- OPTicompany and announced at OPTi website. And chip name 93x is like older OPTi sound chips.

Reply 1 of 3, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it would be an OPTi design, it lacks an external codec chip just like the EV1935 and it's also named Ectiva. Perhaps looking into the drivers will tell you more. I might endig up getting a CT4730 myself.

Edit: After some more investigation it looks like it's based on the ES1371, uses same driver under Linux.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 3, by peklop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks from reply and corfirmation. Interesting because low known chip. It is Ensoniq with codec interated into one chip. Square instead rectangular. And produced by "OPTi" division of Creative Labs.
I searched for cards and found only two:
First is a CT4730. It is SB AudioPCI 64V? I found AudioPCI64V was used by Dell and maybe by Compaq. And Dell 64V drivers looks like common Ensoniq AudioPCI drivers.

Second is an EV1938-4CH noname board. Maybe from chinese Too Star company:
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21608878603425
Red card is shaped like lower shape TB Montego and has 4CH out. When i searched chinese site i found same (?) company produced cards with ESS and Crystal chips with same shape and red color. I loved red sound cards from GUS and ExpertColor times 😀 .
If is PCB datecode 0943 year 2009, card is relative new. It was produced 8 years after CT4730 from 2001.
I wanted download drivers from Too Star but links are dead.

Reply 3 of 3, by peklop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here i found PR from 1999. Source: http://edition.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9909/17 … .idg/index.html

September 17, 1999

SINGAPORE (IDG) -- Multimedia systems manufacturer Creative Technology will offer its Sound Blaster audio products for laptop computers and handheld computing devices.

The EV1958 and EV1938 products are single-chip versions of the company's Audio PCI 64 and 128 cards, and will support DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT and Environmental Audio in games with EAX (environmental audio extensions) support, Creative said in a statement.

The EV1958 and EV1938 include support for DirectSound acceleration offering improved overall performance and audio quality, according to the Singaporean company. Both products also support the large store of legacy MS-DOS games with Sound Blaster 16 compatibility.

The EV1958 offers additional support for V.90, V.80, V.34+ and other modem connectivity modes as well as support for telephony with features such as speakerphone with acoustic echo cancellation, answering machine and pulse and tone dialing.

Both products are currently available for sampling, Creative said.

Not known if any card with EV1958 exists.