VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a new DVD drive that is Sata and I am using a Sata to Ide adapter so I can use it on my P3 motherboard that has no Sata but now I dont have the cable that goes from the DVD drive to my sound card for games like Monkey Island 1 as its not built in with the Sata drive, is there a way to get that out put back to the sound card without buying an IDE drive?

Reply 2 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

I think newer drives are all digital. There's no DAC circuitry present at all.

I think the same. If my memory serves, digital Audio-CD (CDA) playback started somewhen around the Windows 98 days.
Back then it was an optional feature (device manager->CD drive->properties) and several older Windows titles still
used MCI commands to tell the CD-ROM drive to play a given track. Windows XP still supported analogue playback, I think.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 6, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does that mean I will get music to play from the DVD drive without the cable that goes to the sound card? I know of only a hand full of games that need the cable to the sound card one of them is monkey island 1 for music playback for the floppy version

Reply 4 of 6, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From my notes (which may be wrong):

CD Audio cables are required for the computer to read CD audio in MS-DOS, Windows 95, 98 and NT, but beginning with Windows ME and 2000, the OS reads audio from the drive in digital format by default, so that music and data use the same circuitry, and a separate analog audio cable is no longer required. However, ME and 2000 allow drives to be individually configured to output either analog or digital audio, in case (e.g.) the user wants to listen to CDs using the front headphone jack socket. Modern drives are fully digital and no longer contain any analog circuitry.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 6, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to my personal experience, even late PATA optical drives have no "audio output thru cable" option. Some of them even have the audio connectors there, but cannot output audio thru them. Expecting SATA drives to do that is a bit optimistic I guess.

I clearly remember a PATA drive with audio connectors installed but a factory imprinted sign on it that is saying "audio connectors are not functional".

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 6 of 6, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OT: apparently Windows NT can't read CD audio from SCSI drives. IDE drives are OK. Is this a bug or deliberate? Did Microsoft ever explain the reasoning?

Is this too much voodoo?