VOGONS

First post, by CarapauCorrida

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

I hava a Creative CT2770(has the Creative OPL chip) and a CT3600 and the Audigy 2ZS.

Is it possible to have two sound cards plugged in? So I can have the ISA for DOS games and the PCI for Windows 98 games?

Best Regards

Reply 1 of 4, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure it's possible — I have my Slot 1 machine set up that way with two PCI soundcards and 1 ISA. Just get 3.5mm cables and reroute one card's line output into another card line input. Just avoid feeding amplified output — it might damage the receiving card.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 2 of 4, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

😀 I use them together over than 7 years. In my socket-775 machine there are 4 ISA sound cards for DOS, SB Live for Win98 and X-Fi for WinXP. Wanna plug Vortex2 too but no PCI free. All work without issues, no doubt.

Reply 3 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PARUS wrote:

😀 I use them together over than 7 years. In my socket-775 machine there are 4 ISA sound cards for DOS, SB Live for Win98 and X-Fi for WinXP. Wanna plug Vortex2 too but no PCI free. All work without issues, no doubt.

Do you have an extra PCIE x1 slot available? If so, you can use a PCIE to PCI adapter. They don't work with some sound cards, but you can always rearrange to make everything work.

Or you could even get a PCI expansion chassis to add extra PCI slots.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 4, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

cyclone3d, it's Intel 865, it has not PCI-E. Only AGP3.0, PCI, ISA. PCI-to-PCI Expansion chassis is a good idea but too expensive. And I don't know how it works in Windows 98/ME, what kind of drivers (if exist), what possible issues with resources allocation. We all know that Win98 is sometimes goofy (unlike WinXP) about address space conflicts if BIOS failed to allocate devices in RAM correctly at startup. If we use any bus expansion the probability of such issues increases many times. It's not cheap to spend for this trial-trip.