Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CkRtech wrote:

So separate thread for DMA 1 reqs?

Personally, I think a single topic for games hard-coded to IRQ 7 and/or games hard-coded to DMA 1 would be preferable, since both issues are part of the same problem. Also, as I stated earlier, I'm really curious about how much both lists of games overlap with one and other.

Jo22 wrote:

Anyway, I vote for DMA0! I'd be a refreshing choice. 😈

I see what you did there. 😉 But it'd be a fun hack to get an 8-bit Sound Blaster or a clone card configured on DMA 0 in a 286+ system and actually have it made to work with some games. Why let a perfectly good DMA channel go unused? 🤣

Reply 21 of 23, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We could build up a table like this:

========================================================
| Game title | Supported IRQs | Supported DMAs |
| Stellar 7 | 7 | 1(?) |
--------------------------------------------------------
| More flexible game | 2/9, 3, 5, 7 | 1 |
--------------------------------------------------------
| ... | ... | ... |

That, or I suppose we could also just use a Google Docs spreadsheet? 😉

And while we're at it, maybe we should also include a column for the games that were limited in the base I/O addresses that they supported?

Reply 22 of 23, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that a table aiming to list all games and the IRQ/DMA they support (maybe also I/O address?) will be too big and redundant. In the end, almost every game supports some limited subset of values, and listing each and every one of them does not sound too interesting; the sound cards themselves also support specific values only, after all. So I would try to limit the list to games that support only fixed configurations, but that's just my opinion.

digger wrote:

That, or I suppose we could also just use a Google Docs spreadsheet? 😉

Personally, I would prefer to have a page on the VOGONS wiki, but since apparently almost no one has an account there, and even fewer have any interest to edit pages there, it seems that Google Docs (or some equivalent) is what it will be.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 23 of 23, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

I think that a table aiming to list all games and the IRQ/DMA they support (maybe also I/O address?) will be too big and redundant. In the end, almost every game supports some limited subset of values, and listing each and every one of them does not sound too interesting; the sound cards themselves also support specific values only, after all. So I would try to limit the list to games that support only fixed configurations, but that's just my opinion.

Good point. Alright, so does everybody here agree then? Just the games with unchangeable hard-coded Sound Blaster configurations? And by that, I mean either a hard-coded IRQ setting, a hard-coded DMA setting, or both?

Personally, I would prefer to have a page on the VOGONS wiki, but since apparently almost no one has an account there, and even fewer have any interest to edit pages there, it seems that Google Docs (or some equivalent) is what it will be.

Actually, the VOGONS wiki seems fine as well, at least in my opinion. The list shouldn't be editable by anonymous users anyway, right? How would be able to make such a distinction in Google Docs?