VOGONS

First post, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I posted a more detailed account on my blog:

https://jispylicious.wordpress.com/2018/05/30 … ge-too-i-guess/

But the short version is, I tried to upgrade my comp, replacing an ISA Soundblaster 16 with a PCI Soundblaster 2 Audigy (not ZS), but whenever the Audigy was plugged in, no image would ever come up on my monitor.

Comp specs:
700mhz AMD (Thunderbird I think)
512mb pc133 ram
the mobo is an Epox-8KTA (either a plus or a 2, I forget which)
video: Voodoo 3 2000, PCI version
--NOTE: I did at one point replace this with a Geforce ti4200 AGP just to see if maybe the Audigy didn't like the Voodoo, same problem.
--I never did test the Aud with just the onboard video tho.

I can't remember but I think the power supply was at 500-700watts?

I took out any other optional cards when I was trying to get the Audigy to work just to prevent the possibility that they might be a problem.

If anyone has suggestions, throw them at me. Thanks in advance!

Reply 2 of 2, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did that, same problem.

One oddity I noticed: This board has like six PCI slots, but it seems all cards hate the top two slots (weirdly this same problem existed on an older PC that my current win98 pc replaced as well).... the Voodoo won't be detected if its in one of those top two PCI slots, and when I put the Audigy 2 in one of those top two slots, that fixed the "no display" problem.... but then when I tried to install the drivers they said they couldn't detect the Audigy 2. Windows seemed to be seeing _something_ plugged in but....

Anyway, I'm not sure if those two slots are bugged somehow, or if these two cards just coincidentally happen to hate those two slots, or if those top two are some sort of different protocol that I'm not aware of (I've never seen a reference to any such thing but you can find the manual online if you wanna check).

When I plug it into any of the bottom four slots though (IE the slots I know work) the "no display" issue sets in again.