VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found the below card for sale; it's a Magic S23A but unlike others I saw online it doesn't have the CS4237B chipset + CS9233 wavetable; instead it's a very sparse PCB with empty solder points for the wavetable etc. components and has only what I assume is a very integrated CX4236B chip on it. I can't seem to find any datasheets for the CX4236B online. Does this chip have an integrated CS9233 (ie. a GM wavetable) or is it just a CS4237B with integrated Crystal FM? Also, is this card's OPL3 terrible like the CS4235 or bearable like the CS4237?

Attachments

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The CS4236 is in the same vein as the CS4237 with an integrated SB Pro/WSS codec and controller. The onboard CrystalFM is the same improved version as the CS4237 and not the buggy one from the CS4235 chip.

I believe the only difference between the CS4236B and CS4237 is the inclusion of SRS 3D sound on the newer chip.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When you refer to CS4236 do you mean CX4236 because the card is equipped with the latter?

So no wavetable functionality on this card unlike other S23As?

Reply 3 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure why they are labeled differently, but regardless I'm referring to the Crystal Semi 4236B chip.

Filename
DSA0068017.pdf
File size
38.22 KiB
Downloads
72 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

I'm not sure why they are labeled differently, but regardless I'm referring to the Crystal Semi 4236B chip.

DSA0068017.pdf

I see. I already have a cs4232 card do these chipsets have any fundamental differences for example in crystal fm implementation? Is this materially superior to CS4232?

Reply 5 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CS4232 doesn't implement FM by itself. I'm aware of three options -- a companion chip Crystal made which includes a variant of Crystal FM as well as some 3D-ish processing, FM onboard a Crystal/Dream wavetable synth chip, and OPL3 implemented via a Yamaha chipset or illegal 100% clone. I'm not sure how your card implements it.

I haven't done any head to head comparisons, but I personally hate the version Crystal implemented on their FM/3D chip. I'm told that the CS4236 and newer use a better implementation.

Reply 6 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mine has the cs4289 fm/3d companion chip. Now I feel obliged to get the cx4226 if only to compare.

Stii unsure what the difference between CS and CX 4236 are though.

Reply 7 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

Mine has the cs4289 fm/3d companion chip.

*shudder*

appiah4 wrote:

Stii unsure what the difference between CS and CX 4236 are though.

One letter?

Reply 8 of 8, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My D1026 has that same chip. Sbpro is very good, but has some compatibility issues with demoscene-stuff, the games were fine except DN2. When duke speaks "I'am back" the system freezes regardless ems/xms or any other config. I use the drivers for the magic23a. Phil has newer ones on his site: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/crystal-cx4235.html

I will test these today.

FM is quite good but not so good as my ess-solo1 (1938). Some percussion/snare sound are a bit off or to loud but a lot better then on phils video. Overall very good for an onboard solution.

Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines