VOGONS

First post, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys.
I'm making for myself (for now..) a clone of the 1990 Adlib card, and thought it would be cool to make a reproduction of the 1990 box and its content.
So far in my search I wasn't able to find quality scans or pictures of the sides of the box, and of the various documents that came in it.

I found some acceptable scans of the front and back, and the user manual can be found in pdf (!) form here: http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php/AdLib

Any help from anyone who owns a box would be appreciated.
Thanks.

EDIT:
changed the title to be a bit more informative

Last edited by anetanel on 2018-06-07, 10:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
anetanel wrote:

Hi guys.
I'm making for myself (for now..)

Ah, yeah... for now. So once someone provides a very high quality scan, we can see those cards incl. boxes made by you on ebay for some 1.000 bucks..?

Reply 2 of 9, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:
anetanel wrote:

Hi guys.

Ah, yeah... for now. So once someone provides a very high quality scan, we can see those cards incl. boxes made by you on ebay for some 1.000 bucks..?

That is a rather paranoid or pessimistic world view. Whereas for the AdLib I don't like want this very much, I think this is an interesting way to restore big box games which got damaged or are incomplete.

Also as with other hobbies, like vintage cars, having facsimiles of rare items is a nice thing. It gives less well equipped people the chance to pursue the hobby. And with the rarity of AdLibs in general and boxed ones in particular, I do not think people will be willing to spend 1000 bucks for a fake boxed one, because there is no way you could sell them as genuine...

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 4 of 9, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lvader wrote:

It does happen, lots of fake silver label Commodore 64’s appear on Ebay. As long as It’s either for personal use or an obvious reproduction then who cares?

Okay, I wasn't aware of that. If people label that stuff as reproductions, that's fine. But misleading customers or breaking obvious copyrights of still existing companies is bad.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 5 of 9, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I totally understand the paranoia in this! We see this happen WAY more often than it should with retro video games for the Atari, NES, SNES, etc... In fact with reproduction clam shells and the ability to have near exact quality paper printing from your local Kinko's now available, this is even easier to do than ever and it does happen a LOT!

In fact anytime I might purchase a high value video game, i frequently have to request to see a pic of the PCB for the game and if the seller isn't willing to show this or go through the trouble, then they obviously must not want my money for their supposed high value game?

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 6 of 9, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:
anetanel wrote:

Hi guys.

The answer is no.
My intention is to make one to myself, and if it will turn out good and not too complicated/pricey, I'll offer it to whomever would like to buy at about cost price. Probably just to my local retro group, but who knows.
I intend to clearly mark it as reproduction.
Some guys at our group make reproduction boxes of games (some miniatures, and some full size), and we make sure to label it as reproductions.

Reply 8 of 9, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't speak for anyone else, but I can imagine that no-one in the community is looking forward to potentially having to deal with fake/counterfeit boxes. There are already reproductions of the card itself that are hard to distinguish from an original.

I am not saying you would though, but once the files are out there...

These are just my two cents

1982 to 2001

Reply 9 of 9, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I can imagine that no-one in the community is looking forward to potentially having to deal with fake/counterfeit boxes. There are already reproductions of the card itself that are hard to distinguish from an original.

I am not saying you would though, but once the files are out there...

These are just my two cents

I guess I can understand. Bummer though.