VOGONS

First post, by prmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I would like to use my modern computer as midi emulation station (General Midi + Munt) for my retro rig (which has Sound Blaster AWE64 inside) and to do that I need to buy USB to MIDI adapter. I know that those cheap ones from Aliexpress are basically garbage, but recently I noticed that there is a new "brand", which costs a little bit more (and I hope is of higher quality).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-HiFing-US … 2871634193.html

The same thing can be found on Amazon (and has good reviews):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Docooler-Interface-C … /dp/B01J7N6EGO/

My question is - have anybody got any expierience with this product? I know that the recommended one is Roland UM-ONE, but it's rather costly. 😉

Reply 1 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
prmo wrote:

I would like to use my modern computer as midi emulation station (General Midi + Munt) for my retro rig (which has Sound Blaster AWE64 inside) and to do that I need to buy USB to MIDI adapter.

Why? All you need is an MPU-401 interface. An inexpensive PCI sound card with a game port would serve your purpose just fine.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 6, by airs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
prmo wrote:

I would like to use my modern computer as midi emulation station (General Midi + Munt) for my retro rig (which has Sound Blaster AWE64 inside) and to do that I need to buy USB to MIDI adapter.

Why? All you need is an MPU-401 interface. An inexpensive PCI sound card with a game port would serve your purpose just fine.

How would an MPU-401 interface help? He needs a way for the MIDI information to get to his modern computer. Also, he already has a game port on his AWE64.

To the OP: I don't have any experience with the one you linked. I went with a Roland UM-ONE MK2 from eBay for $36 and it works perfectly. Three times the cost of the one you linked is tough to swallow, I know. Perhaps you should get the one from Amazon and simply return it if it doesn't meet your needs.

Reply 3 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
airs wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

How would an MPU-401 interface help? He needs a way for the MIDI information to get to his modern computer. Also, he already has a game port on his AWE64.

To the OP: I don't have any experience with the one you linked. I went with a Roland UM-ONE MK2 from eBay for $36 and it works perfectly. Three times the cost of the one you linked is tough to swallow, I know. Perhaps you should get the one from Amazon and simply return it if it doesn't meet your needs.

To be clear, any PCI based MIDI port (including on a sound card) should work. Install it in his modern machine and he'll be able to handle MIDI input.

Reply 4 of 6, by prmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To be clear, any PCI based MIDI port (including on a sound card) should work. Install it in his modern machine and he'll be able to handle MIDI input.

I forgot to mention that my "modern" PC is a laptop, so USB is the only viable option for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

I'm going to order this adapter (the one I linked earlier) in the near future and see if it's up to the task... I'll share the results here, if anyone is interested.

Reply 5 of 6, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
prmo wrote:

I forgot to mention that my "modern" PC is a laptop, so USB is the only viable option for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Does it have PCMCIA or cardbus slots? If so, you can get a PC card with a MIDI port that fits into that.

Reply 6 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PCMCIA MIDI adapters are not common, nor cheap.

However, even the really cheap ebay adapters can work okay, with two caveats:
sometimes elements like the opto isolator have not been installed and need to be added
limitations of the chipset require a driver work around (Linux has it, not sure about Windows)

Of course you can just skip that nonsense and get a decent USB interface from Roland, M-Audio, or the like.