VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

I am investigating some SB alternatives and I was wondering about the ESS 688 based ones , are they good (assuming the card in question has an external OPL3 ic like this one here: http://www.amoretro.de/2011/06/miss-melody-es … -688-es688.html ) ?
Are they plagued with playback issues like Duke Nukem 2 samples missing? IIRC 688 is SB-PRO compatible but how compatible is that? 🤣

Thanks for any info!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 14, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good question.
I haven't checked the ADPCM support. But up to now, it worked with everything I threw at it and even some (poorly coded) stuff that doesn't work on a true SoundBlaster like the "Crystal Dreams" demo where selecting SoundBlaster often just results in sound for 1 second, followed by silence.
DOOM, DUKE3D, SYNDICATE, QUAKE, FC's Second Reality.

Mine has a genuine Yamaha OPL3 chip.

I'll check for Duke 2 compatibility.
I'll also check for reversed L/R channels.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 2 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the reply it sounds promising 😀
I will wait for the extra test results before getting one to mess with... It's not like they are expensive but I don't want yet another card I won't use 😉

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 14, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don’t know of any compatibility issues - from what I understand it should be as good a SB Pro clone as the later chipsets but the downside is that you need a TSR for the MPU401 to work. The one I have also has a bit of a yucky ‘pop’ When you power on the PC.

Have you considered a nice ES1688 based card? You lose the OPL3 but get the awesome ESFM, no TSR required either. I’m guessing you’re not too worried about MPU401s now that I think about it, being the father of amazing MPU cards and all 😀

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ yep that is correct I don't really care about the MPU implementation. All I care is to get a decent SBPRO alternative - I don't even care if the OPL3 onboard is a clone, I'm gonna replace it. I have seen the threads about the newer ESS chipsets and it does seem great but I was wondering about the older 688 one - maybe it is more suitable for older systems/games .
I suspect the bootup pop you get is from the card's design, back then noone really cared about such things 🤣

Reply 5 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a fantastic SB Pro clone IMO. This card is what I use with my UMC 486 SX33 and it's my favorite ISA sound card.

Edison_Gold_16_B.jpg

I have three of these. Let me know if you need an ES688 card to try out neighbor 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ nice boards you can replace the clone opl3+dac with the real deal as well
thanks for the offer - I did find a board locally to test, just wondering if it worths it... have you tried Duke Nukem II ? do you get all the sfx?
And what about Halloween Harry? Any crackling sound on the music?

Reply 7 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

^ nice boards you can replace the clone opl3+dac with the real deal as well
thanks for the offer - I did find a board locally to test, just wondering if it worths it... have you tried Duke Nukem II ? do you get all the sfx?
And what about Halloween Harry? Any crackling sound on the music?

Haven't tried either game I'm afraid, I could try them next week though.

Reply 8 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My understanding is that the illegal clones are generally very, very good. Maybe even silicon level copies of genuine OPL3 chips.

I'd love to hear a critique from an FM aficionado about how they stack up.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 14, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

but the downside is that you need a TSR for the MPU401 to work.

Why do all people complain about that or call it a downside? Almost every single sound card requires to load some kind of driver to use all features. It's not really an issue at all.

Reply 10 of 14, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have three similar cards ES1688, 1868 and 1869. Since ES-FM is pretty much exactly like Yamaha OPL3, I don't think getting an ES688+OPL3 offers any benefit over the others. There was an FM test here on vogons were ES-FM was tested to match exact OPL3 behaviour: Re: The way to detect OPL3 clone

The MPU-401 TSR for the ES688 may be a myth, which I think originated in one article that I used as a source for my ISA soundcard overview. I would like to see a copy of that TSR so I can conclude that it actually exists.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 11 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have this monstrosity in my collection and I really like it:
656535w.jpg
Edison Gold 16 Revision 1.0

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 12 of 14, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:
badmojo wrote:

but the downside is that you need a TSR for the MPU401 to work.

Why do all people complain about that or call it a downside? Almost every single sound card requires to load some kind of driver to use all features. It's not really an issue at all.

Because I presume it takes up some memory and it’s another variable that might conflict with your setup. Given the choice b/w having to find the right version of a given piece of old software (these cards rarely come with disks) and having to install it / do memory memory management, or a function just working, I’d always choose the latter.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 13 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote:

I have three similar cards ES1688, 1868 and 1869. Since ES-FM is pretty much exactly like Yamaha OPL3, I don't think getting an ES688+OPL3 offers any benefit over the others. There was an FM test here on vogons were ES-FM was tested to match exact OPL3 behaviour: Re: The way to detect OPL3 clone

The MPU-401 TSR for the ES688 may be a myth, which I think originated in one article that I used as a source for my ISA soundcard overview. I would like to see a copy of that TSR so I can conclude that it actually exists.

It is not a myth I have posted the TSR on VOGONS before let mendig up the post.

EDIT: It’s ENMPU.EXE found in the driver disks I posted here

Reply 14 of 14, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

It is not a myth I have posted the TSR on VOGONS before let mendig up the post.

EDIT: It’s ENMPU.EXE found in the driver disks I posted here

I have now seen the ENMPU.EXE there in your second driver disk, thanks for putting that straight. Indeed it is not a myth after all.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul