VOGONS

First post, by bozomask

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have read a couple of posts regarding the upgrade of an MU2000 to EX. Would someone please be kind (and patient) enough to lead me through it? I am running XPsp3 on a 3Ghz Lenovo with 4 GB of memory. I can boot it to Win7 if needs be. I have read that it is a no sweat process and I have read it can brick the unit in a heartbeat, and several shades between. Thanks!

Reply 1 of 10, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am attaching a zip file containing the Windows XP/2000/Me/98/95 USB update tools. I have included a translated copy of the readme. It's fairly straightforward.

Close all other Windows.
Do not let the Computer go to sleep.
Connect the USB cable directly to the motherboard, not through a hub of any kind.
Run Part 1, then Part 2.

Attachments

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 2 of 10, by bozomask

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your help! It seems straight forward. I will have to install the USB driver. I have the serial to host cable but I am not sure it is working OK. No matter what baud rate I use I cannot communicate with an MU100R I have. I tried to transfer patches but wound up sending them through midi port.

Is there anything beside loss of power I need to watch out for? Should I disable the network and virus software before I start the upgrade?

Reply 3 of 10, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It wouldn't hurt. As a caveat, I haven't performed this procedure personally. Any firmware flashing carries risk, and this one is no different, but it was something that they released for users to do if they didn't want to spend the Y7000 to have a Yamaha Service Centre do it. Just read the README and you should be prepared.

I was fortunate in that my MU2000 had already been updated when I received it.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 4 of 10, by bozomask

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the MU2000 now and upgrade. Now...how do I use this to emulate a VL1?! I have a PLG100-VL and PLG150-VL card installed, but have no idea either how to emulate the VL1 cross fade setup or even if I have both cards playing simultaneously. I am kinda lost. Any help is appreciated. TIA!

Reply 5 of 10, by jelise

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi bozomask,

Perhaps this thread can help you : MU2000 EX and 2 PLG VL cards = VL1? : https://yamahamusicians.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10664]

BTW, I plan to update a MU2000 to EX too.
Can you share your experience of updating yours in detail please ?

Reply 6 of 10, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To answer the last question asked in the linked thread, using PLG-100 and PLG-150 boards of the same type together can cause error messages to show up when using PLG-150-exclusive features.

(or so the manuals to several PLG-board-capable synths claim)

Reply 8 of 10, by RetroNoob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@bozomark. You say you managed to firmware upgrade the MU2000 to MU2000EX. Which driver did you use, and what kind of setup did you use?

I know I may have to build a XP computer, but I'm just wondering how you went about it?

Or does anyone else have to helpful info? I'm currently running a Windows 11 machine.

Reply 9 of 10, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did it on my XP machine ages ago, you can also run a virtual machine within Windows 7 (for free) or Win 11 (for paid, no idea about Win 11 though).

You can do it over MIDI or serial connections (MIDI way easier in modern Windows). The files are on the Yamaha JP website or on some fan pages. If you can do it just with USB/MIDI, might be able to do it on Win 11.
https://jp.yamaha.com/support/updates/mu2r1_uw.html

From translation:
"Upgrade the MU2000/MU2000 Extended Edition to MU2000 Extended Editon R1.

THIS IS A PROGRAM FOR UPGRADING BY CONNECTING THE USB TERMINAL OF THE PC AND THE USB TERMINAL OF THE MU2000.

Works in Windows XP/2000/Me/98 environments."

"[Version upgrade by user (free of charge)]
- Please download the version upgrade program.
Connect the MU2000 to the PC with a USB cable.
・ Start the version upgrade program and follow the instructions.
・ The upgrade time is about 15 minutes."

Reply 10 of 10, by RetroNoob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Spikey wrote on 2021-11-13, 09:12:

I did it on my XP machine ages ago, you can also run a virtual machine within Windows 7 (for free) or Win 11 (for paid, no idea about Win 11 though).

Thank you for your help.

I've managed to flash it using Windows 11 with no virtual machines. The main problem, is being pointed towards drivers as well.

https://youtu.be/1OT_RO6AbyI

I'm not trying to self promote, just pass on helpful info.