VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have installed a Pro Audio Spectrum 16 and at the moment im using a Dvd drive on an IDE I/O controller card in a 486 DX66 the Dvd is working great but what would it be like if I used the Scsi Cd drive that came with the PAS16 using the Scsi port on the sound card? Basically which would be faster in access times to read data for games in Dos 6.21.

edit: I just realised that I posted this in the wrong category and I dont know how to move it can someone please do this for me

Reply 1 of 8, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess you mean an optical drive, and I guess it doesn't matter. You can find faster IDE drives (even servers used to have IDE ports for CD/DVD), but some games won't work with 48x IDE drives. Also, keep in mind that anything related to SCSI is crazy expensive.

If you're talking about HDDs, SCSI might be faster because of faster rotation speeds (don't get wrong... IDE HDDs can have more peak transfer rates, but SCSI perform better at sustained transfer rates). But (unless you're building a server) I'd still recommend IDE because is easier to find good drives and they're cheap.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 8, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Zup the drive im thinking of using is a Scsi CD rom drive that I already have but the only thing holding me back is that the plastic for the drive has gone a bit yellow from age its a strange drive in that when it ejects the caddy for a cd the whole face plate is the caddy, when you say it doesn't matter does that mean both the Scsi Cd drive and the Dvd drive would be the same in performance? I read somewhere from a manual for this drive from memory something about this is the fastest access CD rom drive but the manual was made a long time ago and is probably not current today

Reply 3 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Scsi drives were the best for a while, especially in regards to cd burners but for pur cd-rom performance it doesn't matter.
As someone who was using SCSI extensively, don't go there 😀
The controller ads startup time and another driver to load. And then you might think a hard drive might be fine... but these are so loud!

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote:

SCSI CD-ROM drive that came with PAS16 was probably double (might be quad) speed. So pretty slow.

Yes, you're right. The CD-ROM kit came with a CDR-H93MV (CDR-H93), a 2x drive.
See Re: What type of CD drive is this?

(As far as I know, it had its issues with multi-session discs..
In contrast, my father's singel-speed drive LU005 worked fine with them.)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Next question to ask yourself is which is more interesting/Different?
Caddy SCSI drive hanging off the back of a sound card or standard IDE drive?
But for practical use and ease of setup IDE wins easily.

Reply 8 of 8, by Tenorman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A couple of comments specifically regarding the SCSI controller in the PAS-16:
-It has a max throughput of 690 K/s. This means that it can only really keep up with a 4X or slower drive.
-It uses PIO. This means that it doesn't need its own IRQ, but it will have higher CPU usage and be slower.
-If you use the MAMV1.SYS and ASPICD.SYS drivers from Adaptec SCSI Works instead of TSLCDR.SYS, you can use the CD-ROM drive without having MVSOUND.SYS loaded, which can come in handy.

SCSI in general can come in handy if you have a limited number of IDE ports. I use SCSI CD-ROM drives on both my 486 machines. The drives are a bit more expensive than IDE, but not nearly as bad and much easier to find than some of the more obscure stuff like the Sony or Panasonic proprietary interfaces.

[Compaq Presario 633 | DOS 6.22 / Win 3.1 | DX4 100 Overdrive | 28M RAM | SB16 CT2770A | SPEA Media FX (Soundscape S2000) ]
[GA-6BXC R2.0 | Win98SE | Via C3 Ezra 866 | 384M RAM | TNT2 32M | Voodoo2 8M | SB32 CT3670 | Ensoniq Soundscape Opus]