Roland MT-32 , Do I need one ?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote on 2018-06-24, 03:00:

You can talk to ab0tj about a HardMPU board as well. I believe all the rev2 Music Quest clones have been sold atm.

Both are cheaper than a Roland, Voyetra, original Music Quest, or CMS MIDI card. Those are selling for quite astonishing prices nowadays.

I always keep an eye out for intelligent mode MIDI interface cards. Last year I scored a boxed CMS-401 for about $35 if I remember correctly.

I just found another boxed, but older revision CMS-401 and purchased it. Quite a bit more than I paid for the last one, but this one was supposedly never used and looks to include the original software and software manual.

I have quite a few other intelligent mode MIDI cards that I have picked up over the last few years. Don't think I paid more than $50 for any of them, some of them being boxed.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21 of 33, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those are really good prices! MIDI boards never show up where I live. I bought a MOTU board a couple of years ago, although I can't remember how much I paid. I've had issues with the emulation it uses not being 100% compatible with all titles or all host systems (not sure which), but it's the only one I've found.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 22 of 33, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, with the combined factors of:
1) only the major economies of the time (USA, Japan, Western Europe) have the scale to see MIDI cards routinely on the secondhand market decades later
2) in such a small niche market, it doesn't take many dedicated enthusiasts gatekeeping the auction sites daily and snapping up everything they find, to pretty much saturate the buyer's side. Leaving near-Zero market for casuals, thus the need for people to (for example) go to great lengths recreating and sourcing new versions like the PCMIDI

Same effect applies for most retro PC componentry that wasn't dead-centre of the mainstream in it's time, and even a lot that was. The fortune (in this case) of living in those major 80's/90's economies is that you're automatically a retro power beast in comparison to the rest of us! You have effectively double or triple our buying power.

Reply 23 of 33, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the MT-32 sounds incredible for those games which support it such as Monkey Island, Loom, and other early classics. But if you're not playing these games then it won't do you any good as it's not compatible with General MIDI. It will often require an MPU-401 interface that is compatible with intelligent mode, though this can be worked around through software. The AWE64 is otherwise a good card to pair with since it doesn't suffer from any hanging note or other MPU-401 bugs that plague many of the earlier Sound Blasters.

Another caveat is that there are two versions of the MT-32; the old and new, each with their own quirks. The old version is more desirable, but both have been hard to acquire now for a reasonable price as of late.

Reply 24 of 33, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another thing to consider, is MT-32 alternatives... like the MT-100 sequencer and the very large... but very capable RA-50. I think there might be other synths/modules/devices that are basically MT-32 at their heart that can be used as well. But just something else to consider.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 25 of 33, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CrossBow777 wrote on 2022-02-04, 15:42:

I think there might be other synths/modules/devices that are basically MT-32 at their heart that can be used as well. But just something else to consider.

His friends call him Munt.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 26 of 33, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's the great thing : there are MT-32 options for everyone.

• If you want to camp on auction sites for a year and snuffle out a rare bargain on a real one, you can.
  • If you want to not camp, and instead Buy It Now a real one for $500 (+$100 as each extra year passes), you can.
  • If you want to spend $50-100 and some work, you can have something even better-sounding and more functional, with the pride of physically building it yourself.
  • And there are the off-the-shelf modern options like those from serdaco

So if you have between $50 and $500 and really want an MT-32, you can have one. Either way, you'll pay in either money, or time/work.

Reply 27 of 33, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CrossBow777 wrote on 2022-02-04, 15:42:

Another thing to consider, is MT-32 alternatives... like the MT-100 sequencer and the very large... but very capable RA-50. I think there might be other synths/modules/devices that are basically MT-32 at their heart that can be used as well. But just something else to consider.

A list I compiled awhile back - any inaccuracies are mine. (as in, DYOR)

MT-100
RA-50
LAPC-I
CM-32L
CM-64
CM-32LN
CM-500
LAPC-N

According to inferences from the Roland download site, specifically the "MT-32 to General MIDI patch" page, these big old keyboards should be MT-32 compatible /capable as well:
D-5
D-10
D-110
D-20

In the end I decided a build-my-own mt32-pi was the way to go. ~A year later, and I do not regret it. Real hardware is real nice, but sometimes the timing just isn't right - I simply refuse to pay asking prices for the real thing, re: past couple years. And running an mt32-pi has it's own ample set of rewards, in terms of the extra func it offers.

Reply 28 of 33, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
According to inferences from the Roland download site, specifically the "MT-32 to General MIDI patch" page, these big old keyboa […]
Show full quote

According to inferences from the Roland download site, specifically the "MT-32 to General MIDI patch" page, these big old keyboards should be MT-32 compatible /capable as well:
D-5
D-10
D-110
D-20

They are not. While *mostly* these synths are the same, the PCM samples are in different orders, so any custom instruments have a chance at being wrong.

Sierra put aftermarket work in for the D-110 synths until King's Quest 5, so you can download D-110 remap SYX banks for I think all the games before and including KQ5.

Other compatible synths include Roland's early E keyboard range, the E-5, 10 and 20 (all a little different). The E-30 is even a CM-32L with a couple added sound effects.

Reply 29 of 33, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Spikey wrote on 2022-02-06, 23:14:
According to inferences from the Roland download site, specifically the "MT-32 to General MIDI patch" page, these big old keyboa […]
Show full quote

D-5
D-10
D-110
D-20

They are not. While *mostly* these synths are the same, the PCM samples are in different orders, so any custom instruments have a chance at being wrong.

Is the order of PCM samples something which could be relatively trivially addressed in software, and/or by way of (referring to your Sierra example) sending a sysex? or is it a more serious issue?

Reply 30 of 33, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It means that they need their own SysEx's with the instruments edited to call the right patches. Some other minor changes appear to have been made too, those and the sample correction having been done by Sierra themselves until 1990 and KQ5, after which it seems it was halted (or at least, no evidence exists for patches beyond this point).

The relevant games are late 1990 and beyond, but there's no easy way to fix this. You'd need to custom edit the MT-32 SysEx for each and every game.

The good thing is, since some early VGA games are done, one could use those patches in future patching projects (e.g. instruments like StrSect1MS which are used in like 20 games). But I've never had any luck saving SYX files after editing them.

Reply 31 of 33, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah ok. I perhaps-mistakenly assumed that the workaround would simply involve a constant translation table of sorts. I don't foresee much issue editing and saving Sysex files, or just embedding sysex into custom MIDI's as has been done in many other Sysex-reliant contexts in recent years - it seems a trivial thing - but again that may be shortsighted on my part. Without personal experience of the D- devices, it's hard to say.

other roland LA synthesis device playing mt32 music.jpg
Filename
other roland LA synthesis device playing mt32 music.jpg
File size
42.57 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It is with the existence of such things as SoftMPU that I call a basic Patch Translation Table "trivial", despite not exactly volunteering to insta-write it myself here and now! 😉

It would have been more accurate of me to say (regarding that list), that they are Roland devices including LA Synthesis, and for which MT-32 compatibility or-very-close-iteration-thereof is potentially achievable : depending upon one's capabilities. When we talk about such things at a place like Vogons, then a certain amount of technical zshushing is almost a given. Heck, technically speaking, the MT-32 isn't even 100% compatible with itself, given the different versions and the micro-changes involved. 🤣

Reply 32 of 33, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm just happy I still have 3 original MT-32 and 2 original roland PSU in my closet 😀

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532