VOGONS

First post, by MrCrono666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone!

I've been working with this card for about 6 hours now, attempting to get it to work on my Windows 98 SE computer (Toshiba Satellite 2505 CDS) as I'd love to get it to work so I can play games on original hardware like Diablo, Warcraft, etc. Even the current card I have is giving me issues and it doesn't allow me to install any new drivers to emulate SB capability (Yamaha OPL3-SAx) so I decided to try a PCMCIA card. Didn't realize it was made for Windows 2k and up, but I've read that it can be installed on Windows 98 SE no problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for your help.

PS - It's to the point that I would even pay someone for assistance.

Reply 2 of 21, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Audigy 2 ZS Notebook Cardbus card doesn't work in Win98, not sure where you got that info from.
The card in your laptop supports SoundBlaster ProV3.01 and Windows Sound System V2.0 according to the Toshiba website, try those drivers: https://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome … Text=1073769687

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 4 of 21, by MrCrono666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote:

The Audigy 2 ZS Notebook Cardbus card doesn't work in Win98, not sure where you got that info from.
The card in your laptop supports SoundBlaster ProV3.01 and Windows Sound System V2.0 according to the Toshiba website, try those drivers: https://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome … Text=1073769687

Righteous. I installed those specific drivers per the instructions. Now, my issue lies in the fact that I still can't setup Warcraft. It doesn't detect my sound card, or even list it - and I can't choose any Sound Blaster option. Each option I select has me choose an IRQ & DMA channel, which I just go with auto-detect for the IRQ stuff, and then it stays I don't have a sound card that matches those settings...my listed options in "setup.exe" for Warcraft is seen below:

-Sound Blaster
-Sound Blaster Pro
-Sound Blaster 16/AWE
-Pro Audio Spectrum
-Gravis Ultrasound
-Wave Jammer
-RAP 10

Those are the options presented to me. Any idea where to go from there? If there's an expert at installing Warcraft, I'd love to bug them as well.

Edited to add clarity.

Reply 5 of 21, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrCrono666 wrote:
Righteous. I installed those specific drivers per the instructions. Now, my issue lies in the fact that I still can't setup Warc […]
Show full quote

Righteous. I installed those specific drivers per the instructions. Now, my issue lies in the fact that I still can't setup Warcraft. It doesn't detect my sound card, or even list it - and I can't choose any Sound Blaster option. Each option I select has me choose an IRQ & DMA channel, which I just go with auto-detect for the IRQ stuff, and then it stays I don't have a sound card that matches those settings...my listed options in "setup.exe" for Warcraft is seen below:

-Sound Blaster
-Sound Blaster Pro
-Sound Blaster 16/AWE
-Pro Audio Spectrum
-Gravis Ultrasound
-Wave Jammer
-RAP 10

Those are the options presented to me. Any idea where to go from there? If there's an expert at installing Warcraft, I'd love to bug them as well.

Edited to add clarity.

The Yamaha OPL3-SAx sound card definitely supports Sound Blaster Pro, so my choices point to either Sound Blaster Pro or Sound Blaster (if Pro deosn't work). The sound card's resources are controlled by the BIOS and the default settings differ from the normal ones that most games expect. IIRC Toshiba's default Sound Blaster settings are IRQ5 and DMA0, IRQ5 is typical but the normal default DMA setting is 1 which is probably what that game is expecting.

In case you don't know how to access the BIOS in these older Toshiba laptops, turn on the laptop while holding the "ESC" key then press the F1 key once you see a message saying "Check system settings" or something similar.

Reply 6 of 21, by MrCrono666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
MrCrono666 wrote:
Righteous. I installed those specific drivers per the instructions. Now, my issue lies in the fact that I still can't setup Warc […]
Show full quote

-Sound Blaster
-Sound Blaster Pro
-Sound Blaster 16/AWE
-Pro Audio Spectrum
-Gravis Ultrasound
-Wave Jammer
-RAP 10

Edited to add clarity.

The Yamaha OPL3-SAx sound card definitely supports Sound Blaster Pro, so my choices point to either Sound Blaster Pro or Sound Blaster (if Pro deosn't work). The sound card's resources are controlled by the BIOS and the default settings differ from the normal ones that most games expect. IIRC Toshiba's default Sound Blaster settings are IRQ5 and DMA0, IRQ5 is typical but the normal default DMA setting is 1 which is probably what that game is expecting.

In case you don't know how to access the BIOS in these older Toshiba laptops, turn on the laptop while holding the "ESC" key then press the F1 key once you see a message saying "Check system settings" or something similar.

I did my best to change the settings, but still no recognition from the setup. I provided as many photos, ones from the BIOS screen, as well as the setup for Warcraft. I can't seem to find the initial sound card port address that the setup is asking. I tried the basic settings for the IRQ and DMA but nothing seemed to work (tried the first few port addresses with all options).

Here's the photos - https://imgur.com/a/nvBvfSC.

Reply 7 of 21, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you trying to run the games directly from Windows?
You can check the soundcard parameters in the System Properties or in the Control Panel>System screen.
Get the I/O, IRQ and DMA info from there.

If you want to run the games from DOS, like selecting commandline only at the F8 boot prompt, you'll need DOS drivers for the OPL3-SAx chip.

Reply 8 of 21, by MrCrono666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote:
Are you trying to run the games directly from Windows? You can check the soundcard parameters in the System Properties or in the […]
Show full quote

You can check the soundcard parameters in the System Properties or in the Control Panel>System screen.

If you want to run the games from DOS, like selecting commandline only at the F8 boot prompt, you'll need DOS drivers for the OPL3-SAx chip.

I'm in Control Panel and System. Where is the information at? I'm sorry I really don't have any idea where to get that sorta stuff from....if a PM or direct message is easier, I'd love to do that as well. Just let me know.

I can't run Warcraft from DOS as it loses mouse support. Haven't figured out why myself, just wanted to get sound first...

Reply 9 of 21, by MrCrono666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote:
Are you trying to run the games directly from Windows? You can check the soundcard parameters in the System Properties or in the […]
Show full quote

I went ahead and looked around for a while until I found the settings under "Multimedia" and I found a few channel options. Especially Sound Blaster - which I input into the settings and it doesn't detect the card still.

Please see the photo at the end of this list - https://imgur.com/a/nvBvfSC

At this point, I don't know what to do. I've found the correct info to input and yet I can't set up the sound settings in the setup file for Warcraft.

Reply 10 of 21, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I meant there, in "My Computer", right click to Properties, in the Device Manager tab and in the subcategory "Sound,video & game controllers", maybe you can change the audio resources there.
Windows-98-Display-3.png
That's a random screenshot found on google as my Windows 98 install is in french.

So even with those parameters (I/O 220h IRQ 5 DMA 0) you get no sound in Warcraft?
Can you try another game from the era, such as Descent 1 shareware version:
https://www.classicdosgames.com/game/Descent.html

Is the sound working in Windows?

Reply 11 of 21, by MrCrono666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote:
I meant there, in "My Computer", right click to Properties, in the Device Manager tab and in the subcategory "Sound,video & game […]
Show full quote

I meant there, in "My Computer", right click to Properties, in the Device Manager tab and in the subcategory "Sound,video & game controllers", maybe you can change the audio resources there.
Windows-98-Display-3.png
That's a random screenshot found on google as my Windows 98 install is in french.

So even with those parameters (I/O 220h IRQ 5 DMA 0) you get no sound in Warcraft?
Can you try another game from the era, such as Descent 1 shareware version:
https://www.classicdosgames.com/game/Descent.html

Is the sound working in Windows?

Yeah, those parameters set there's no sound. I tried each audio option presented to me via Warcraft too 😒 I have sound, to include Star Control II, Cosmo, and The Oregon Trail (though sound speed is WAY too fast, same as gameplay. I need to learn how to lower those speeds).

So I've got sound, but Warcraft is being a butt....I just can't figure out why.

Reply 12 of 21, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried in Dosbox, with the demo version of Warcraft, the sbpro with the same settings as yours, it refuses to recognize the soundcard with the DMA set to 0.
Can you see in the Device Manager if you can change the resources for the soundcard?

Here is the DOS driver/setup utility, unzip it on your laptop, start in DOS mode, F8 when the starting Windows.... message appears, then run setupsa.exe from the directory opl3sax, try to see if you can change the DMA for your card with it.

Filename
OPL3SAX.zip
File size
116.93 KiB
Downloads
78 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

If you're looking for a DOS mouse driver, I suggest cutemouse
http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/

Reply 13 of 21, by MrCrono666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote:
I tried in Dosbox, with the demo version of Warcraft, the sbpro with the same settings as yours, it refuses to recognize the sou […]
Show full quote

I tried in Dosbox, with the demo version of Warcraft, the sbpro with the same settings as yours, it refuses to recognize the soundcard with the DMA set to 0.
Can you see in the Device Manager if you can change the resources for the soundcard?

Here is the DOS driver/setup utility, unzip it on your laptop, start in DOS mode, F8 when the starting Windows.... message appears, then run setupsa.exe from the directory opl3sax, try to see if you can change the DMA for your card with it.

OPL3SAX.zip

So weird, I can't see most of your comment unless I did a quote reply. I'll look into the DOS Mouse driver.

As for setupsa.exe it won't let me modify anything. It's riddled with errors. I'm in the setting area of the sound driver. Here's the pics of what I'm dealing with.

https://imgur.com/a/KEE7buU

I can't link photos to my post. When I do it just says "Image". Man I feel like I suck right now haha.

Which DMA should I change?

Reply 14 of 21, by MrCrono666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote:
I tried in Dosbox, with the demo version of Warcraft, the sbpro with the same settings as yours, it refuses to recognize the sou […]
Show full quote

OPL3SAX.zip

I'll go ahead and install the utility and try to run it. Will post back in a bit.

Reply 15 of 21, by MrCrono666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote:
Show full quote

OPL3SAX.zip

I ran Setupsa.exe from the desktop and it DIDNT give me errors o_o the old version I had must of been the problem.

YOU DID IT! The copy of SETUPSA.exe finally worked.....holy cow. I've been pulling my hair out for weeks over this issue! I set the DMA to 1 and the setup for Warcraft accepted the sound card options, and boom! Sound is in the game now.

Time to mess with the mouse issue....question: do you have a Steam wishlist or anything? I'd love to repay you for helping me.

Reply 16 of 21, by MrCrono666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote:
Show full quote

OPL3SAX.zip

The mouse works! Awesome!! Well that was easy. Okay, now my next and final question is this....

I tried running Star Control II from Windows 98, and it started in MS-DOS and gave me this horrible message followed by a failed execution of the .exe

"Windows 98 is now starting your MS-DOS-based program."

I removed the lines to initiate that program from the win.ini file, but the message still shows up anytime I restart or enter MS-DOS. It's a reminder of my mistake - how do I remove that message? I don't see any further verbage in the win.ini file, nothing in the autoexec.bat nor the config.sys file.

Again, thanks for your help. I truly appreciate it.

Reply 17 of 21, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Steam account and no wishlist, but there's really no need to repay anything!
Setupsa.exe should be run in real DOS mode, not in Windows 98, which is what you did, right?

In your last picture, if you uncheck "Use automatic settings" you can change the values for the resources, like that "Direct Memory Access 00" which is causing your issues.

Press F8 (or CTRL) when the message "Starting Windows..." is shown, before the Windows logo, you should get a bootmenu where you can select "start dos commandline only" or something similar.

Reply 18 of 21, by MrCrono666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote:
I have a Steam account and no wishlist, but there's really no need to repay anything! Setupsa.exe should be run in real DOS mode […]
Show full quote

I have a Steam account and no wishlist, but there's really no need to repay anything!
Setupsa.exe should be run in real DOS mode, not in Windows 98, which is what you did, right?

In your last picture, if you uncheck "Use automatic settings" you can change the values for the resources, like that "Direct Memory Access 00" which is causing your issues.

Press F8 (or CTRL) when the message "Starting Windows..." is shown, before the Windows logo, you should get a bootmenu where you can select "start dos commandline only" or something similar.

I ran setupsa.exe directly from windows and it worked perfectly. The DMA for 01 said it's also set up for the printer and that a conflict would occur. For now, I'll leave it as is! 😀

As for the weird boot message that appears but does nothing now "Windows 98 is now booting your MS-DOS-Based program" I just want to get rid of that, and I'll be golden for now