VOGONS

First post, by Red_Machine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't seem to find a driver for this. There isn't one available on Creative's website, so I assume that they never bothered making one for it. Is my best bet to just install the OS and use the drivers Microsoft provided?

Reply 1 of 9, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Red_Machine wrote:

Is my best bet to just install the OS and use the drivers Microsoft provided?

Since Windows 2000 (and XP) has built-in drivers for the Sound Blaster AWE64 sound cards, I don't see why not. After all there's probably nothing better because as you've said Creative didn't bother to make updated Windows 2000/XP drivers for their ISA sound cards. I'm not sure what you'll be missing out on in comparison to the OSes where official driver support is required (i.e. Windows 95 or NT 4.0) so there should be nothing to worry about.

Reply 2 of 9, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

I'm not sure what you'll be missing out on in comparison to the OSes where official driver support is required (i.e. Windows 95 or NT 4.0) so there should be nothing to worry about.

What about custom soundfonts?

Reply 3 of 9, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Azarien wrote:
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

I'm not sure what you'll be missing out on in comparison to the OSes where official driver support is required (i.e. Windows 95 or NT 4.0) so there should be nothing to worry about.

What about custom soundfonts?

Unless his card has a SIMMConn or a memory expansion board, that's probably nothing to worry about since the integrated memory (usually 512KB-4MB) doesn't seem like enough to make custom soundfonts worthwhile.

Reply 5 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1st thing I did was check "TheMAN's SB16 and AWE Compilation CD" He collected all software related to the ISA cards years ago.
It does include a NT4 driver so maybe sound fonts work in NT4
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=13

But the CD confirms what KCompRoom2000 said. Creative never released anything for OS's newer then Win95/NT4.

Reply 7 of 9, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Azarien wrote on 2021-11-14, 08:21:

Have you tried installing NT4 drivers?

I did. Tried using the NT4 MIDI driver as well as the NT4 AWE Control Panel. Didn't work.

Reply 8 of 9, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-11-14, 13:36:
Azarien wrote on 2021-11-14, 08:21:

Have you tried installing NT4 drivers?

I did. Tried using the NT4 MIDI driver as well as the NT4 AWE Control Panel. Didn't work.

So I actually tried this on XP. The drivers do work, including MIDI (they need to be manually selected in device manager from the WINNTDRV\ENGLISH folder on the CD (not all AWE64 CDs have this folder).

But the most important AWE Control app still refuses to run, so there's still no way to select the soundfont and other effects.

Vienna SoundFont Studio does work though and it somehow manages to load the instrument that is currently being edited.

Oh, and the NT4 drivers make XP unable to sleep/hibernate. So… they're not really worth installing.

Reply 9 of 9, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Follow this description.
It works on Windows 2000 and also on Windows XP.

Using the AWE32 wavetable synthesizer in Windows 2000

But remember, the loading time of a 28 MB soundfont is about 1 minute!