VOGONS

First post, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I've been trying to get my Audigy 2 card (Dell SB0350) working in Windows 98 but all I can get working are the WDM drivers.
I downloaded the Audigy 2 ZS CD from vogons and in the driver installation utility all I can select are WDM, where the VXD driver selection is grayed out.

I even tried to extract the VXD driver from the CAB file in the VXD subdirectory, and managed to install it without too much fuss, but when I rebooted the card was disabled due to "Damaged driver files" in device manager.

Has anyone had this kind of issue with this card?

Thanks

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 1 of 2, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're supposed to install the WDM drivers initially. Then, there is a utility in the start menu to switch the drivers to VXD.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 2 of 2, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stretch wrote:

You're supposed to install the WDM drivers initially. Then, there is a utility in the start menu to switch the drivers to VXD.

Thats what I thought as well, but the utility never gives me the option to switch.

That said, I solved the problem just 10min ago 😈
The Audigy 2zs CD while having universal WDM drivers for the Audigy 2 (maybe even 1) series, it does NOT have universal VxD drivers.

I instead tried this CD and it worked the first time. No need to even install the WDM drivers first. The utility gave the option imeediately to install the WDM or VxD drivers. No fuss, no problem.

Thanks Vogons.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3