Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 81 of 555, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LABS wrote:

How do their cd-ins behave by the way? Are they noiseless?
Anyone dealing with the same problem? Any suggestion will help. Thank you.

Good lord, no. Nothing in that era was noiseless. Are you kidding? PC audio is a case-study on how NOT to design audio circuitry.

Let's start with dubious-quality analog outputs from optical devices on the other end of a metal cage with an EMI-production plant in the middle, powered by a switching supply that is probably only JUST good enough not to explode, and tie grounds together at like a hundred different places. The audio cable can be a 5% shielded cable of 24AWG wire, draped over the power supply, RAM, CPU, video card, and IDE card, wrapped up in a coil, and set on top of the 74-series logic ICs on the address decoder of the sound card.

Honestly, we're lucky we heard ANYthing but noise.

Reply 82 of 555, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SirNickity wrote:

Honestly, we're lucky we heard ANYthing but noise.

This is my experience with CD-ROM Audio cables 20 years later using at least twice as high quality components. No wonder I had a seperate CD-Audio music system all the way back in 1996..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 83 of 555, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote:

You need a pseudo differential input for CD :

Yea.. didn't want to add more opamps, but looks like it is the only way to go:

cd_diff.jpg
Filename
cd_diff.jpg
File size
90.25 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Works for me, -94dB RMS. Thanks a lot, man! 😀

Blasterboard: DIY SB2-compatible sound card on ATmega MCU
Sonic Buster 8: New 8-bit ISA sound card

Reply 84 of 555, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a huge improvement !
Many single chip things and Codec chips have built in input like that just for the CD input.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 85 of 555, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote:

That's a huge improvement !
Many single chip things and Codec chips have built in input like that just for the CD input.

Interesting, didn't know that about single-chip cards. This clears up a lot 😀

Reply 86 of 555, by Vaudane

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LABS wrote:
Ok, just measured the output noise Used RME Multiface for input @ 44100hz/32-bit float & WaveSpectra for Win […]
Show full quote

Ok, just measured the output noise
Used RME Multiface for input @ 44100hz/32-bit float & WaveSpectra for Win

idle.jpg

-94db RMS - not bad, right? With DSP, OPL2 and PC-speaker knobs set to max

But after connecting CD-audio and set its knob to max - I get this

cd-in_idle.jpg

Can hear silent, but audible constant high-pitched noise and variable noises from cd-rom motors 😠
Looks like a gnd loop.
Already tried messing around with gnd and R/L signals, connecting/disconnecting/buffering of cd-out on dedicated cd-gnd plane/checked solder quality/lp filtering - nothing works, the noise is in audible spectrum with peak @~8khz. If I connect cd-out via buffer to the power amp directly with a 3m cable - no noise at all, very clean signal, so there is a hope.

Unfortunately I do not have any hi-q cards with cd-in to check them out for possible solutions. Tried to trace hi-res photos of Aztec and Gravis cards and as I could see - nothing fancy here, just some filtering of inaudible freqs and gnds are connected, but maybe I just didn't notice something. How do their cd-ins behave by the way? Are they noiseless?
Anyone dealing with the same problem? Any suggestion will help. Thank you.

Honestly, those former noise figures are impressive, especially as the analogue sections aren't canned.

As an aside on the previous suggestions, you could also make a properly screened cable which would massively cut down on noise instead of using the stock CD-Rom one which is essentially as others have pointed out, a big-ol antenna.

Reply 87 of 555, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vaudane wrote:

Honestly, those former noise figures are impressive, especially as the analogue sections aren't canned.
As an aside on the previous suggestions, you could also make a properly screened cable which would massively cut down on noise instead of using the stock CD-Rom one which is essentially as others have pointed out, a big-ol antenna.

Yes, it can be done, but actually the goal was to hit theoretical -98dB SNR of cd audio - the highest quality sound source of all 4 - without extra shielding etc. Considering crappy DACs of cd-roms - it's accomplished. I think there is no need for lower noise floor in a system of such fidelity, where even theoretical noise of any sound source is higher (and much higher) than the real noise floor of card's analog path.

Reply 88 of 555, by Vaudane

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LABS wrote:
Vaudane wrote:

Yes, it can be done, but actually the goal was to hit theoretical -98dB SNR of cd audio - the highest quality sound source of all 4 - without extra shielding etc. Considering crappy DACs of cd-roms - it's accomplished. I think there is no need for lower noise floor in a system of such fidelity, where even theoretical noise of any sound source is higher (and much higher) than the real noise floor of card's analog path.

Fair enough, And the fact they send it analogue to the soundcard via a shitty cable after shitty DAC is a whole another discussion 🤣

I could immediately tell you weren't US based by the noise signal too xD good ol 50 Hz mains hum.

Reply 89 of 555, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LABS wrote:

Works for me, -94dB RMS. Thanks a lot, man! 😀

Wow, that's some very impressive graphs! 😳

New BIG soundcard: FMonster.
Covox Sound Master replica
Innovation SSI-2001 replica & DuoSID.
My audio/video collection.

Reply 90 of 555, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was really happy to see digital audio connectors on the back of CD-ROMs in the latter half of the 90s. And sad that it was just then becoming a common thing, when nobody cared about CD audio anymore. (And those that did simply streamed it off the disc and into the sound card as PCM data.)

94dB is definitely a respectable achievement. Better than that era of sound cards, CD-ROM audio outputs, and the majority of consumer CD audio products we would've been using at the time. I fear your accomplishment is going to be wasted on most systems it's installed in, but hey -- at least it's not the bottleneck, and that's a good place to be. No need for further heroics, for sure.

Reply 91 of 555, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SirNickity wrote:

I fear your accomplishment is going to be wasted on most systems it's installed in

I have 5 machines with ISA slots I'm going test the card on: 386SX-33, 486DX2-50, P166MMX, P200MMX, P3-1GHz.
Currently it is installed in a 22 y.o. P166MMX with original not recapped PSU which I use as a workbench machine. Interesting how others will behave. Will post the results.

Reply 92 of 555, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Vaudane wrote:

waaait, arent cdrom audio cables shielded? they certainly look the part

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 93 of 555, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ not all of them , cheaper ones are just sleeved in plastic with no shielding

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 95 of 555, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never saw one that was properly shielded, they all just have cheap plastic grey sleeves.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 96 of 555, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A bunch of mine have one of the ground pins on the connector connected to a heat-shrink-tube'd bare stranded wire that is wrapped around the L/R conductors. I'm sure it's about as effective as printing "LOW NOISE" on the cable jacket, but it's ... kind of ... technically shielded ... if you squint and don't ask too many questions.

Reply 97 of 555, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Made some rough cd-in noise tests on 2 more machines - 386 and P3. Considering the layout (diff amp on a breadboard and all that wires hanging around), the results are quite good:

386DX-33 (29 y.o., no recapping):

386dx-33.JPG
Filename
386dx-33.JPG
File size
395.84 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
386-idle.jpg
Filename
386-idle.jpg