VOGONS

First post, by Bloxicon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whenever I reinstall the program and run it, I get an error message saying that the Yamaha Midi Driver has expired on May 2018. This essentially means that I can't get the program to play Midi files, nor can I get Sondius-XG to function.

It's a shame since I don't want to have to spend several hundred dollars on a VL-70m or PVL150-VL & MU128, and I'm not entirely sure if a WF-192XG WaveForce is compatible with my COMPAQ.

On a side note, I might need to hook up a midi interface to my COMPAQ since there doesn't seem to be any midi sequencer/studio that works on Windows 98, unless you guys can recommend one to me.

Last edited by Bloxicon on 2018-07-11, 23:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Information that you gave is too few and incoherent for solution.
* "Expired Driver" means "can't get the program to play Midi files" - galimatias.
* "if a WF-192XG WaveForce is compatible with my COMPAQ" - what model of Compaq? "Compaq" - there is no info in this word! CPU, chipset???
* I don't know PVL150. Maybe PLG150-VL? What exact "PVL driver" do you mean?

Try soft-synth Yamaha S-YXG50.

Reply 2 of 7, by Bloxicon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The only reason I want the SYXG100 PVL is to take advantage of the Virtual Acoustic synthesis part (and maybe the SG part, too) for musical composition, which the SYXG50 doesn't have; I have little to no interest on the wavetable part.

As for the computer I intend to run it on, it's a COMPAQ DeskPro with the following specs:

- 1GHZ Pentium III Processor
- 20GB hard drive
- 256MB memory
- 1.44MB Floppy Drive
- CD-ROM optical drive

Reply 3 of 7, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The registered version of S-YXG100 removes the time limit but is hard to get these days. Have you tried setting your computer clock back a few years?

Yamaha's XGWorks 3.0 sequencer is floating around on the internet and runs great on Win98. Native support for all their softsynths with XGEdit. It's a bit clunky to use, but so is everything else from that era.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 4 of 7, by Bloxicon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

D'oh, why didn't I think of the old "turn back time" trick? Silly me.

I'm glad you you told me about XGWorks, too; it works just as well on my regular computer, so I can transfer XG parameter files between computers if I ever need to.

Reply 5 of 7, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like you're doing something similar me; I built this little Shuttle media PC to act as a dedicated XG box in my music setup. I have XG Works on it for "in the box" sequencing and Falcosoft's MIDI player to route external MIDI inputs to the S-YXG100 directly, so it can act as a 'sound module.' 😀

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 6 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bloxicon wrote:

On a side note, I might need to hook up a midi interface to my COMPAQ since there doesn't seem to be any midi sequencer/studio that works on Windows 98, unless you guys can recommend one to me.

XG Works 3.07 can be found for free on the web.