T-04YBSC-A, new YMF71x based sound card + SETYMF utility

Discussion about old sound cards, MIDI devices and sound related accessories.

Re: T-04YBSC-A, new YMF71x based sound card + SETYMF utility

Postby Tiido » 2019-5-18 @ 10:54

After a lot of headaches I have OPL4 playing sound ! I managed to fry one chip though, I had !OE and !WE swapped in CPLD pinout conf and I damaged the IO buffers of one OPL4...
The CPLDs are dead end and I have been working on a kludge :
FLEXkludge.png

Flex10K FPGA with its conf memory that will go in place of the original CPLD. Now there are no limits on what I can do. Parts are coming from China though so it will take a while... In the mean time I'll begin work with the STM32.
Tiido
Oldbie

Postby Tiido » 2019-6-10 @ 13:45

First code runs on the ARM :D
Long and painful road ahead, lot of peripherals to learn and whatnot...
Tiido
Oldbie

Postby 640K!enough » 2019-6-10 @ 23:25

Do you have any test code implemented yet? Are you planning a purely bare-metal implementation, or with a supporting OS?

The first positive results are always encouraging. Do you know the source of the "Cannot read memory" error?
640K!enough

Postby Tiido » 2019-6-10 @ 23:50

I have only done very preliminary code, setting up interrupt vectors and few other bits, just enough to get to a point where the CPU runs my code which currently is just putting some values into the registers. It is going to be full bare metal where every cycle and byte counts so that I can get maximum polyhpony and have most amount of space for any samples and LUTs.

"The cannot read memory" was a me stumbling in the cable lol. In the beginning I was unable to actually run anything but that was matter of changing few directives on the assembler end of things and a misunderstanding of memory map.
Once I finish one PCB I'll focus a bit more on the code side of things and will get a LED on the board light up or even blink. Some sawtooth coming out the DAC would also be quite nice to have but there's a lot of peripherals that need to be set up for things to start working nicely. The documentation is very good and I already have some experience with a different family STM32 so I mostly know what needs to be done to get the results I'm after, things should be fairly smooth once I really get into it.
Most of these chips are both pin compatible and also software compatible or at least only needing recompile (symbols etc. have same names and often same location/function). ST has done a very good job making parts that are upwards compatible.

I also got the FPGA configuration memory, FPGA itself shouldn't take long to follow and PCBs I'll get next week most probably. Then I'll work in MPU-401, SB and ARM comms interfaces. Getting SB going is probably gonna happen first, it is much less work compared to a synthesizer.
Tiido
Oldbie

Previous

Return to Sound