VOGONS

First post, by madrobby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My retro setup consists of currently 3, soon a few more, computers, and I'd like a way to easily be able to switch between, or better yet, mix the sound outputs of these (for example, I'd like to hear my main Windows PC at the same time as my 486/33). Additionally there's the output of a few MIDI modules (MT-32, SC-88) that I'd also like to "throw in the mix".

I know I need a stereo sound mixer. Probably one with 8 stereo channels (16 individual channels) would be good. I don't need microphone, XLR, etc., just RCA inputs and RCA output would be great, as well as a headphone jack.

Is there such a thing? I've researched and all current mixers have way too many flashy features. 😕 I just want something compact and easy to use. 😀

Thanks for your recommendations!

Reply 1 of 10, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You probably need a line mixer like https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LX308 … 308b-line-mixer or http://tascam.com/product/lm-8st/
Cheaper: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Multi … ereo-line-mixer

Blasterboard: DIY SB2-compatible sound card on ATmega MCU
Sonic Buster 8: New 8-bit ISA sound card

Reply 2 of 10, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Get a good, tested, second-hand analogue 16 channel (2 times 8 channels) mixer. Now many of these are table-top (for a given value of "table-top"), but rack mixers also exist. It will blow away most cheap modern digital mixers.

Reply 5 of 10, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
madrobby wrote:

Thanks everybody, I ended up ordering the Behringwr RX1602.

Nice.

madrobby wrote:

Probably should get a little rack for all the sound stuff! 😀

I went with, U8 open frame rack. It holds the audio mixer, a midi patch bay, a rack mount power unit and four half width midi modules.

Reply 6 of 10, by madrobby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
the Goat wrote:

It holds the audio mixer, a midi patch bay, a rack mount power unit and four half width midi modules.

What do you use to hold the half width modules in place? A shelf? Rack ears?

Reply 7 of 10, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
madrobby wrote:
the Goat wrote:

It holds the audio mixer, a midi patch bay, a rack mount power unit and four half width midi modules.

Shelves and heavy duty hook and loop tape to hold the modules in place (came with the shelves).

Reply 10 of 10, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the Goat wrote:
madrobby wrote:
the Goat wrote:

Shelves and heavy duty hook and loop tape to hold the modules in place (came with the shelves).

If you're in Europe, you can buy similar shelves for half the price at large professional audio online stores such as Thomann. They even include screw holes for most common screw patterns on the bottom of half rack units.