VOGONS

Questions related to my SC-55 mk1

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good to see it's all working OP! The UM adapters are pretty sturdy little things so it should keep you going for a very long time.

SuperDeadite wrote:

When MU units are running in USB Mode other ports are disabled.

That's what I figured, which is why I was confused about techweenie's post.

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 21 of 24, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SuperDeadite wrote:

As concerns MU USB or serial (To Host) connections, the MIDI OUT port functions as an equivalent to MIDI THRU. Assuming a default Thru Port setting of 1, data sent to the MU in such a manner will be played by the internal tone generator parts 1 - 16, and will also be sent out the MIDI OUT port. With a Thru Port setting of 3 - 8, data sent to/through that corresponding port (selected either through the driver, or via cable messages) is completely independent of the internal tone generator parts.

Reply 22 of 24, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote:
SuperDeadite wrote:

As concerns MU USB or serial (To Host) connections, the MIDI OUT port functions as an equivalent to MIDI THRU. Assuming a default Thru Port setting of 1, data sent to the MU in such a manner will be played by the internal tone generator parts 1 - 16, and will also be sent out the MIDI OUT port. With a Thru Port setting of 3 - 8, data sent to/through that corresponding port (selected either through the driver, or via cable messages) is completely independent of the internal tone generator parts.

So, in order to get MIDI data duplicated out of the MU1000 over USB, I'd have to use the MIDI OUT port instead of MIDI THRU? Seems like a silly design decision, but I'm gonna try that out once I get another MIDI cable (all of my smaller ones are in use by other synths 🤣).

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 23 of 24, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpeedySPCFan wrote:

So, in order to get MIDI data duplicated out of the MU1000 over USB, I'd have to use the MIDI OUT port instead of MIDI THRU? Seems like a silly design decision...

Think of it in terms of a "standard" USB MIDI interface, which only has MIDI IN/OUT ports, and it's less silly.

Cloudschatze wrote:

With a Thru Port setting of 3 - 8, data sent to/through that corresponding port (selected either through the driver, or via cable messages) is completely independent of the internal tone generator parts.

Correction on this bit. You'd need to set the Thru Port to 5 or above on the 64-part MUs for independent operation.