VOGONS

First post, by ChAoS Overlord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As I was inspired by Phil's Computer Lab, I'm going to build a dedicated MIDI-emulation computer that can act as an MT-32 (or other midi synth). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ759oY5EKg

I want to connect this emulator machine to my only retro rig (a windows 98/XP machine) using my SB Audigy. As I have the SB1394, I would require the separate bracket. But I don't find it anywhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction to solve this, or should I go to ebay to get a 2nd hand SB Audigy (2) with the bracket?

I do have the UM-ONE Mk2, which I'm going to use with the emulation computer. I would use a second one of them with the retro machine, but it's not compatible with Windows 98 (or DOS). This is why I'm looking for an Audigy, so I could get great compatibility in Windows and okay/good compatibility in DOS (mode).

Last edited by ChAoS Overlord on 2018-07-26, 15:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 13, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The MIDI port on the Audigy doesn't work under DOS so you'll need another card.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 13, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Then pick up an ESS ES1938/Solo-1 based card, should work fine under DOS on your motherboard.

YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 13, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, no problem. Under DOS I would only initialize one card at the time, preferably the Solo-1.

YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 13, by ChAoS Overlord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I understand, but that way I'm missing out on the superior (?) soundblaster for effects? I would use the Solo-1 (that I ordered through Aliexpress) only for connection to my MIDI emulation computer.

Reply 9 of 13, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As for the chinese Solo-1's it might miss some of the resistors connecting the MIDI signals to the DB15 connector on the back of the card. 😖 If you got some soldering skills you could just bridge the solder pads. The Audigy emulates SB16, so it could be useful in some games, but the need for a TSR and EMM386 could break compatibility for others.

YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 13, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You ordered this one?

terratec_solo1-n_ess_solo1_es1938s-600x550.jpg

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 13 of 13, by ChAoS Overlord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Srandista wrote:
You ordered this one? […]
Show full quote

You ordered this one?

terratec_solo1-n_ess_solo1_es1938s-600x550.jpg

I think your image isn't working. It's this one: https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/192653699578?_tr … 8.N41.S1.R1.TR2

It's kinda funny, you and me take a similar stance to overpowered retro computing. I only chose to use a SATA SSD (still need to finish the build though)