VOGONS

First post, by madrobby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is the Roland/Edirol A-880 a good choice of you want to hook up multiple computers (3 atm) to multiple MIDI modules (also 3) with some room to grow? I want to be able to switch between computers and devices and I do have a little rack. This is for DOS gaming, ScummVM and listening to old MIDI game soundtracks.

As these seem to go for $150 or so, are there good cheaper alternatives?

Reply 1 of 3, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the UM-550 and I quite love it. The UM-880 is the king of the castle, but they are pricey.
The A-880 is a solid choice. Typically Yamaha/Akai/Kawai patch bays are cheaper, especially on Yahoo Auctions, but it really depends on what features you want.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 2 of 3, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mark of the Unicorn's MIDI Timepiece units can routinely be had for around $50 USD. I use a networked pair of MTP II and MTP/AV units in my larger setup, and an MTP/AV USB unit in a smaller rack.