VOGONS

First post, by nai1ed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't get my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro to work with my Creative Sounblaster AWE62 Gold ISA card. The joystick has the old midi connector and worked fine on another computer running Windows XP. I'm building a retro Windows 98se PC and wanted to use this soundcard, but the joystick shows as not-connected. I know Windows 98 supports this joystick, but does the sound card have support?

Reply 4 of 15, by nai1ed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I tried that link but when you download the file, it only has drivers for the Sidewinder wheel. There is no menu like the one shown in that thread. I think the author uploaded the wrong file.

Reply 5 of 15, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You are correct, that file is not correctly uploaded. But anyway, the driver is required for the joystick to work.

To use Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback Pro and SideWinder Game Controller Software, you need: […]
Show full quote

To use Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback Pro and SideWinder Game Controller Software, you need:

* Personal Computer with Pentium 90 processor or higher
* Microsoft Windows 95 or Windows 98 operating system
* 16 MB of RAM
* 25 MB of available hard-disk space (an additional 15 MB recommended for install)
* Quad-speed CD-ROM drive
* Super VGA, 256 color monitor
* Sound Blaster compatible audio board with Gameport/MIDI port
* Enclosed joystick driver
* Feedback forces are only enabled with games using Microsoft Force Feedback technology and are comptible with the Microsoft DirectX API version 5.0 or later.
* Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0a or later, Netscape Navigator 3.0 or later, or other frames-compatible browser
* SideWinder Force Feedback Pro works with Windows 95 or Windows 98 compatible games only
Check your games for minimum requirements

I'm pretty sure the driver can be found out there.

Reply 7 of 15, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably this thing: https://web.archive.org/web/20040615055258/ht … wnloads/302.asp

The full CD is surprisingly hard to find, though.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 9 of 15, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I should have the full CD somewhere. I got it together with a large box of all sorts of Sidewinder stuff incl. the Force Feedback Pro and the FF Wheel. No idea where the CD currently is, however.

Reply 10 of 15, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've uploaded an iso of my FF Pro driver CD here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ctjeyvfp5g88qa/SW3 … _MECH3.ISO?dl=0

Besides the drivers, It has a profiles for games including Mechwarrior 3, but the Mechwarrior 3 game was on a separate CD.
Download is ~ 158.5 MB

Reply 11 of 15, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I vaguely remember having problems with joysticks on AWE64 under Windows 98. The issue was that Windows installs Microsoft's gameport drivers that don't work and stay installed even after you install AWE64 drivers from Creative disk. So you have to manually remove Microsoft's gameport driver and install Creative's one.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 13 of 15, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jheronimus wrote:

I vaguely remember having problems with joysticks on AWE64 under Windows 98. The issue was that Windows installs Microsoft's gameport drivers that don't work and stay installed even after you install AWE64 drivers from Creative disk. So you have to manually remove Microsoft's gameport driver and install Creative's one.

I was unable to get any joysticks to work with my AWE64 gold and Windows 98. I've tried Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro (like the original poster) and the CH Flightstick Pro.

I ended up getting a Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 which interfaces via USB. The Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 works fine, even for DOS games (executed through windows).

I'll try removing the Microsoft gameport driver like you suggest.

Reply 14 of 15, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
the Goat wrote:

I'll try removing the Microsoft gameport driver like you suggest.

No joy. I removed the gameport driver and installed the one off my original AWE64 Gold driver CD (copywrite 1996). I got a few prompts stating, "the file being replaced is newer than the file being copied. Do you want to keep the newer file?" and chose to replace with the older files. The CH Flightstick Pro is still not detected through the gameport.

Reply 15 of 15, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After installing the MS SideWinder game controller software (3.02) and restarting the PC, head for the control panel and then start the game controllers dialogue. On the general tab, try to add the controller you have connected to the game port and then check again. Or did you already do this?

END OF LINE.