VOGONS

First post, by cabezonnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys

First of all my english is not perfect (sorry 🙁) so i'll try to explain my issue the best way i can.

Well, recently i purchased a Roland MT-32 module and i start to read how to hook on this system

i5 4460
ECS B85H-M3
16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64

Then I bought a very cheap USB-to-MIDI cable and the RCA audio cable with the adapters. So i connected the cables and config the system the way this video explains...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXBZwKhqi4

The system recognizes the USB-to-MIDI connection but i have no answer with my MT-32 in DOSbox. The usb-to-midi adapter have 2 lights, one for in and one for out and none of this blinks and when i try to setup wing commander and choose MT-32 the game starts but the sound is weird and is not being processed by the MT-32 at all, it sounds even with the MT-32 off so i assumed that there's no link at all.

I've read and i know that those cheap cables are very bad, but i started to wonder if this MT-32 could be damaged.
Is there's a way to test it with another software? I ordered a brand new usb-to-midi adapter from amazon and i will test it, but if you have some information or any tip that i could try it will be great.

Thanks a lot!

AMD Athlon XP 1600+ 1400mhz / MSI KT2 VIA VT8366A / 256 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM / Nvidia Geforce 3 / Soundblaster Live! / SB Audigy front panel / SONY SDM-S71 17" LCD / Win 98 SE

Reply 1 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First you need to make sure the link between DOSBox and the MPU UART (the interface provided by the USB adapter) is configured.
https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Configuration:MIDI

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 9, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The fact that he is hearing something even with the MT-32 powered off would mean that Dosbox is using the built in GS emulation in Windows. So yes, like was stated above, you need to make sure that Dosbox is configured to use the correct midi device because it seems to be currently using the default GS emulation and that won't sound correct on any games that really used the MT-32.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 3 of 9, by cabezonnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally i get my MT-32 running and playing. =) Thanks a lot guys. I've tested it with King's Quest IV and Wing Commander and sounds incredible.

The issue was that i used a custom build DOSBOX version and the MPU-401 emulator doesn't work. Finally I decided to run the official DOSBOX version, configure the MIDI settings to UART and select the proper device and that's it.

The only remaining issue is that i hear an annoying little buzzing sound and the MT-32 doesn't display the midi message for certain games. But i think it is caused by the generic AC-Adapter and the poor quality USB-to-Midi cable, so i will replace them in the near future.

Anyway, i've enjoyed every note and instrument played on my MT-32 and the best of all is i've only paid $45 on my country ebay clone page. =)

Thanks a lot guys, i will post some videos and images as soon as possible.

AMD Athlon XP 1600+ 1400mhz / MSI KT2 VIA VT8366A / 256 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM / Nvidia Geforce 3 / Soundblaster Live! / SB Audigy front panel / SONY SDM-S71 17" LCD / Win 98 SE

Reply 4 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those cheap USB adapters are known to have issues with long SYSEX messages, which could be causing problems with the LCD message and potentially with custom instruments as well.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 9, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes I use the expensive but worth it UMONE in my setup. I also have the midi settings at Intelligent, but have it set for win32 since I have the UMONE set as my default midi device in windows. I would also advise making sure you set the option in the Midi section for the delay sysex option to help as well. I can't recall right off hand exactly how that is worded in the config file, but yeah.

g883j7-2.png

Reply 6 of 9, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cabezonnor wrote:

The issue was that i used a custom build DOSBOX version and the MPU-401 emulator doesn't work.

Which one, if I may ask?

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 7 of 9, by cabezonnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Srandista wrote:
cabezonnor wrote:

The issue was that i used a custom build DOSBOX version and the MPU-401 emulator doesn't work.

Which one, if I may ask?

The SVN build. from http://www.ykhwong.x-y.net

Reply 8 of 9, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well yeah, Daum-SVN it's really old build.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 9 of 9, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cabezonnor wrote:
Srandista wrote:
cabezonnor wrote:

Which one, if I may ask?

The SVN build. from http://www.ykhwong.x-y.net

Interesting as that is the build I still use most of the time. It used to give me constant issues with my mouse jumping but a change the video render took care of that issue for me and so I still use it. I believe my build of Daum-svn is the same 0.74 as the latest Dosbox release...

g883j7-2.png