VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recebtly bought my first sound canvas, an sd-35 but its power supply was destroyed during shipping. It is a heavy transformer power brick. Would replacing it with a cheap but equally rated (amperage and voltage wise) chinese switching power supply be a bad idea?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 3, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe go for a more trustworthy brand (to ensure a stable and constant power output) but, I don't see why not.
So long as the voltage and amperes matches up (the power supply can provide more amperes, since the device will only draw what it requires but, voltage must be correct).

Very important - check the polarity of the DC connector. Roland devices normally requires a "reversed" polarity (centre negative and outside positive).

Reply 2 of 3, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The replacement is also reversed, thanks for the heads up. Cheers.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 3, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, go for a good one. It is not worth saving 5€, quid or bucks only to have your nice retro equipment fried a few years down the road when the cheap supply fails. 9V 1A bricks should be available for around 10€ or a bit more from reliable brands.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC