VOGONS

First post, by aquishix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll try to keep this brief.

Among all my machines, I've got a 386DX40, a 486DX2-66, and a Pentium-II @ 350MHz.

The 386 has a SB Pro 2.0, the 486 has had (until now) a SB Pro 2.0 ** AND ** a SB16, and the P-II only has a SB16.

I very much want to convince myself that it's going to be OK to remove the SB Pro 2.0 from the 486 system on the premise that any game that has SB Pro as an option but DOESN'T have SB16 as an option will ALSO be old enough to run well on a 386, and not need the computing power of a 486.

(Part of the reason I've formulated that premise is that the original Warcraft, from 1994, has SB16 as an option, and it seems like pretty much anything released before 1994 should run well enough on a 386DX40, even though Warcraft itself doesn't. Doom seems like a counterexample, but it also supports GUS, which I have in all 3 of these systems.)

My simple question is: Do you agree with this premise? If not, can you specifically cite even one game that disproves the premise(that doesn't support GUS)? A handful of games would be even better, if such a handful exists.

Thanks in advance! I know that several of y'all have the data in your brains; this data is very hard to come by via the resources currently on the web.

Reply 1 of 2, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't like most SB16's as the sole sound card for DOS, but you're not far off with that assessment. A 386DX40 with the SB Pro 2 does help cover a lot.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 2 of 2, by aquishix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
firage wrote:

I don't like most SB16's as the sole sound card for DOS, but you're not far off with that assessment. A 386DX40 with the SB Pro 2 does help cover a lot.

"Not far off" -- but not actually correct? O:)