VOGONS

First post, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you actually record from the line-in on this sound card under Windows 98 SE? I'm using the VXD drivers and the only option I get in Sound Recorder and Creative WaveStudio (and in the Windows control panel) is Creative Wave-In, which is the microphone input. I'm trying to record good audio from my Sega Genesis and with the mic-in I get mono audio and it just sounds wrong overall, so I can't use that. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply 1 of 3, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You have a few options:
1. Using Windows built-in Mixer panel: Click the speaker icon on the right hand side of your system tray -> Options ->Properties -> Select 'Adjust Volume for' -> Recording (make sure Line-in is selected in 'Show the following volume controls' part) Press OK then select Line-in.
2. Using Surround Mixer. In the leftmost position of the mixer you can select the active Recording Input. Select Line-in.

sbliverec1.jpg
Filename
sbliverec1.jpg
File size
127.53 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Selecting Line-in bypasses the audio effect engine for recording (also Bass/Treble settings) but you can also select 'What U Hear' instead of Line-in if you want to record multiple sources (including Line-In) together with effect processing.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 2 of 3, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, doing what you did with the Windows mixer panel lets me listen back to the line-in but doesn't allow it to be a usable recording device. Unfortuantely, I can't seem to use the Surround Mixer because I had to install the more bare bones VXD drivers. The WDM drivers you normally get when using the latest CD make my computer go crazy and I have to reinstall Windows. The VXD drivers work perfectly but I don't get the fancy software. I installed the software in a VM and copied them manually but only some of them work, with the Surround Mixer telling me it failed to load plugins. Any ideas on that? Thanks.

Reply 3 of 3, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, doing what you did with the Windows mixer panel lets me listen back to the line-in but doesn't allow it to be a usable recording device.

I think you simply missed one important step I have written above, namely from the Mixer's menu select: Options ->Properties -> Select 'Adjust Volume for' -> Recording '.. If you simply open the Windows Mixer from the tray it opens up the 'Playing Control' instead of 'Record Control'. Notice the difference on the Caption of the Mixer! (on the picture above and yours). If you use the playing control of course it simply enables real time listening of Line-in.

Anyway I'm also using the Vxd drivers. The Surround Mixer does not depend on WDM drivers, it works perfectly with the Vxd drivers. There are no 2 versions of Surround Mixer, you have to install manually the same version from your Installation Disk as you would install for the WDM drivers.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper