VOGONS

First post, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a problem with my SB awe64. I instlled the drivers, but some games and mod players don't seem to work properly. Also, midi players don't work with it.

Here is my autoexec:
SET SOUND=C:\TOOLS\SOUND\SB_16
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D0 H5 P300 E620 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
SET CTCM=C:\TOOLS\SOUND\CTCM
C:\TOOLS\SOUND\SB_16\diagnose /S
C:\TOOLS\SOUND\SB_16\aweutil /S
C:\TOOLS\SOUND\SB_16\mixerset /P /Q
C:\TOOLS\SOUND\CTCM\ctcu /S

Do I miss anything for awe64?
One of the d00 players (adplayer) gives me "no OPL2" message.

While here, I have LAPC-I card on the same computer. Is there a way to connect LAPC-I to Line IN in Awe64, that is the only card connected to speakers? So if the game supports mt32, I will here it via awe64 on my speakers? I'm talking about pure dos, no Windows. How to make it working?

Reply 1 of 8, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally, I would reconfigure your soundcard to use DMA 1. Your matching blaster string after resource assignment would be A220 I5 D1 H5 (etc).

It is possible to use a configuration (via CTCU/CTCM) that does not enable your "OPL3" functionality. Is 0x388 included in your configuration for the card?

I assume your LAPC-I card uses P330 for your MIDI port. You could loop it into your AWE64, sure.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 3 of 8, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did!
DEVICE=C:\PROGRAMS\SYSTEM\DOS\himem.sys /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICE=C:\TOOLS\SOUND\AWE\CTCM.EXE
DEVICE=C:\TOOLS\SOUND\SOFT\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:7 D:0 H:5
DEVICE=C:\TOOLS\SOUND\SOFT\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS
DEVICE=C:\PROGRAMS\SYSTEM\DOS\emm386.exe RAM

But still no music in Doom, just sounds 🙁

Reply 4 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Remove SET BLASTER from your autoexec.bat. CTCM will set this for you with the correct values. Note that SET BLASTER does *not* configure the sound card to use these values. It's just to make it easier for DOS games to find the card. For Plug&Play cards, always leave that to CTCM instead of setting it manually.

Next, with "aweutil /S" you can use OPL/Adlib and Emu8000 music only. For MIDI, you need to enable MIDI emulation using /EM:xx (see here). What music device did you select in DOOM?

Reply 5 of 8, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I removed the card from ISA slot, changed it into different slot - now midi works, but still no music in Doom, Wolf3d 🙁
Also, I noticed that system freezes when I use Monkey Island with mt32.
I tried aweutil /em:gm, gs.
When I use aweutil /s, I have adlib sound in Dyna Blaster (there is no sound with other emulations).
Is there some universal settings, to make all these games work?
My mod players, trackers work great, just some games don't 🙁
In Doom there are sounds, In Wolf3d there is no detection of Sound Blaster at all 🙁

Reply 6 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, what computer are you using ?
And in BIOS setup, is the ISA PnP set to "PnP aware OS = No" or "PnP aware = Yes" ?
There's lots of stuff to configure, depening on your PC model.
For example, make sure that all the Sound Blaster ports are configured to "Legacy ISA",
Anf if you can, make sure CTCU/CTCU has Adlib enabled. And try without EMM386, too.
See Re: Zone 66 crashes on start?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 8, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most of those settings aren't needed and are eating up your conventional memory.

All you need is ctcm /s (and you can do it in autoexec.bat too), optionally mixerset if you're not happy with the defaults and aweutil for MT32 thing and reverb/chorus setting.

Certainly no need for CTSB16.SYS and CTMMSYS.SYS, whatever they do.