VOGONS

Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 Build ?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 53, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:
it's the weird angle, I've drawn some lines now - DMA is set to 1 I got confused too looking at the pic as well LOL […]
Show full quote

it's the weird angle, I've drawn some lines now - DMA is set to 1
I got confused too looking at the pic as well 🤣

O7q8dCx.png

But can it run Crysis?

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 21 of 53, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh yes, it can it's just nukem2 that won't work in 7.1 mode
🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 22 of 53, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tpowell.ca wrote:
So far, from my investigations the ESS Audiodrive ES688 is ideal. It is 100% Sound Blaster Pro compatible with what I've thrown […]
Show full quote
Intel486dx33 wrote:

What ISA sound card do you think offers the best clarity and audio experience ?

So far, from my investigations the ESS Audiodrive ES688 is ideal.
It is 100% Sound Blaster Pro compatible with what I've thrown at it, has a real Yamaha OPL3 synth, supports ADPCM samples and uses a sliding low pass filter (unlike the fixed freq on the SB Pro) so it sounds clearer.
Oh, and it has a line-out and speaker out.

That ES688 is not very common and hard to come by. I there any other ESS chip number that sounds just as good ?

Reply 23 of 53, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To be precise, and I do love being precise, the dummy load is not what provides the -5V supply.

A dummy load is placed on the 12V rail because most modern power supplies expect to be most heavily loaded on the 12V rail. Older computers drew more heavily on the 3.3V and 5V rails. Some power supplies will use a DC to DC converter to derive 5V and 3.3V from the 12V, which is usually sufficient to load the 12V rail satisfactorily enough to get correct voltages being produced. For those that don't, the dummy load helps to stabilise the voltage regulation by adding a load to the 12V.

The -5V is usually something that will step down -12V to create -5V.

All that to say that the eBay seller provides multiple options, so you need to know that a dummy load does not equal the provision of -5V.

This all becomes less important given that, as mentioned above, the Sound Blaster Pro 2 does not need -5V, but the Sound Blaster 2.0 does.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 24 of 53, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tpowell.ca wrote:

Here is the mixer I made a long time ago while learning about C programming and the Sound Blaster interface.
It requires a mouse to work, and I think it assume port 220h.

Sorry about the terrible look and crappy interface. I'll definitely update it soon as I am trying to resurrect my SB Pro card for my next 486.

Thanks much, I can't wait to try this out!

Reply 25 of 53, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shagittarius wrote:
tpowell.ca wrote:

Here is the mixer I made a long time ago while learning about C programming and the Sound Blaster interface.

Sorry about the terrible look and crappy interface. I'll definitely update it soon as I am trying to resurrect my SB Pro card for my next 486.

Thanks much, I can't wait to try this out!

Let me know if it works for you.

Of course, there is one hiccup in using it, that is that it cannot prevent a game or program from changing the filter setting from what you previously selected in the mixer.
For this I made a VERY basic TSR that allows you to change the setting from within games. I'll look for that in my highschool archive. 😵

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB

Reply 26 of 53, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
hmmm I tested an 688 card with Duke Nukem 2 and after a while the sfx stop and the machine freezes - tested 2 different systems […]
Show full quote
tpowell.ca wrote:
So far, from my investigations the ESS Audiodrive ES688 is ideal. It is 100% Sound Blaster Pro compatible with what I've thrown […]
Show full quote
Intel486dx33 wrote:

What ISA sound card do you think offers the best clarity and audio experience ?

So far, from my investigations the ESS Audiodrive ES688 is ideal.
It is 100% Sound Blaster Pro compatible with what I've thrown at it, has a real Yamaha OPL3 synth, supports ADPCM samples and uses a sliding low pass filter (unlike the fixed freq on the SB Pro) so it sounds clearer.
Oh, and it has a line-out and speaker out.

hmmm I tested an 688 card with Duke Nukem 2 and after a while the sfx stop and the machine freezes - tested 2 different systems that work fine with the game using a CT1600. Am I missing something?
My card is this one:

D84ia7Vl.jpg

I will also try your mixer first chance I get, thanks for sharing!

I got the 1994 Compaq edition.
What do you think ?
Check out this mounting bracket, What do you think this card came out of ?

Attachments

• ESS 688.jpg
    Filename
    ESS 688.jpg
    File size
    261.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 27 of 53, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fitzpatr wrote:
To be precise, and I do love being precise, the dummy load is not what provides the -5V supply. […]
Show full quote

To be precise, and I do love being precise, the dummy load is not what provides the -5V supply.

A dummy load is placed on the 12V rail because most modern power supplies expect to be most heavily loaded on the 12V rail. Older computers drew more heavily on the 3.3V and 5V rails. Some power supplies will use a DC to DC converter to derive 5V and 3.3V from the 12V, which is usually sufficient to load the 12V rail satisfactorily enough to get correct voltages being produced. For those that don't, the dummy load helps to stabilise the voltage regulation by adding a load to the 12V.

The -5V is usually something that will step down -12V to create -5V.

All that to say that the eBay seller provides multiple options, so you need to know that a dummy load does not equal the provision of -5V.

This all becomes less important given that, as mentioned above, the Sound Blaster Pro 2 does not need -5V, but the Sound Blaster 2.0 does.

The most straightforward way is this, although it could be implemented from +5V or +12V via an inverting buck boost converter.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 28 of 53, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tpowell.ca wrote:

Found a glitch in the keyboard routine that causes the mixer to quit abnormally if you move the mouse on fast Pentium or later systems.
I'm working on fixing this and the way the program handles cards at addresses other than 220h.

Reply 30 of 53, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

So anyone had a chance to test ess688 + d nukem 2 ?

My 486 is in pieces as I try and figure out how to get 1M cache to work with decently quick timings on my MSI PCI/ISA board.
I'll try and find some time after my daughter goes to sleep to try it out.

How did you say you reproduced the problem ?
I assume you use port 220 IRQ7 and DMA1.

I'll be testing it on a Compaq ES688 card, identical to the one pictured above, except mine luckily has a standard slot plate.

Reply 31 of 53, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I just started a new game with sfx only, started shooting continuously and playing the level and sure enough after some time the sfx stopped playing and then the pcs froze. It might take 30secs it might take 3 mins ... I was using irq5 though.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 32 of 53, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

Well, I just started a new game with sfx only, started shooting continuously and playing the level and sure enough after some time the sfx stopped playing and then the pcs froze. It might take 30secs it might take 3 mins ... I was using irq5 though.

Check for any resource conflicts, such as the parallel port or another add-on card might be using IRQ 5. Change it to another one, such as 7 (check for other peripherals, and add-on cards using IRQ 7).

I wish GOG.com had Duke Nukem 2 to purchase so that way I can test it on my Ultimate Sound System (Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus) with the ES1688F card.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 33 of 53, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

How fast is the machine you ran this on?
How much conventional memory did you have at the time? Was EMM386 loaded?

I'll try and replicate this setup later and also try with a genuine Sound Blaster Pro 2, see if that makes a difference.

Reply 34 of 53, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One system was a 486sx25 , 600+ kb free conventional, no EMS , MS-DOS 6.22
The other was a 486slc2/66 , same 600+ kb free conventional, no EMS , MS-DOS 6.22
Both systems were fine with a real SB PRO2 CT1600 card...

Really curious to see what you find tpowell.ca 😀

Reply 35 of 53, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:
One system was a 486sx25 , 600+ kb free conventional, no EMS , MS-DOS 6.22 The other was a 486slc2/66 , same 600+ kb free conven […]
Show full quote

One system was a 486sx25 , 600+ kb free conventional, no EMS , MS-DOS 6.22
The other was a 486slc2/66 , same 600+ kb free conventional, no EMS , MS-DOS 6.22
Both systems were fine with a real SB PRO2 CT1600 card...

Really curious to see what you find tpowell.ca 😀

Ok, so my configuration is a little different but with my AMD 5x86-133 with HIMEM only, using the Compaq-branded ES688 card on 220,7,1 I had no problems.
I did not disable the adlib music.
The game ran fine for about 5 minutes with me running jumping around while playing the level and shooting non-stop.

keropi, is this the only game you have problems with?

Reply 36 of 53, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probs not partcularly relevant but DK mentioned that he had an ESS card that dropped sounds and one of the games I tested my Audiodrives with was Duke II to test for that - no problems over here when used with a P166:

ESS AudioDrive (ES1868) - a surprisingly good ISA sound card

I do have an ES688 + real OPL3 but it has a nasty pop when booting, so it never gets much air time.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 37 of 53, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:

Probs not partcularly relevant but DK mentioned that he had an ESS card that dropped sounds and one of the games I tested my Audiodrives with was Duke II to test for that - no problems over here when used with a P166:

ESS AudioDrive (ES1868) - a surprisingly good ISA sound card

I do have an ES688 + real OPL3 but it has a nasty pop when booting, so it never gets much air time.

I don't have that problem, but mine had a real line-out. I did get loud pops on power-up with the real SB Pro due to its amplified output.
Was your card equipped with a line-out? Were there any jumpers for selecting line/amp out?

Reply 38 of 53, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

So anyone had a chance to test ess688 + d nukem 2 ?

I have not received it yet.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2018-09-07, 12:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 39 of 53, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tpowell.ca wrote:

I don't have that problem, but mine had a real line-out. I did get loud pops on power-up with the real SB Pro due to its amplified output.
Was your card equipped with a line-out? Were there any jumpers for selecting line/amp out?

Good question! I'm guessing yes but will have to dig it out - where possible I always use Line out or disable the onboard amp, and nasty pops are still pretty common. My ES1688 cards have been pretty good, but my ES1868 does it. Creative cards are generally good with regards to startup pops, PAS16's hiss but that goes away when the appropriately set up mixer kicks in. I also have a few cards that emit a nasty pop or screach on power down - a couple of the OPLSAx cards I've tried have done that.

I settled for a Crystal based card in my P166 and it's lovely in that regard - in most regards actually.

I'm very sensitive to these unwanted sounds!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.