VOGONS

First post, by bradholland

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Guys,
Thought i'd share a picture of the prototype of a synth I am building based on 4x YMF289B
This also includes CEM3320 (cloned) analogue filters and VCAs the filters use the same topology as the classic Elka Synthex polysynth from the 80s.
Each YMF289B has two filters attached and 2 vcas

I wanted to create a synth that can be used for FM programming, but also be used as a classic subtractive style synth too,
Will be posting some demos soon enough...

Attachments

Reply 2 of 5, by powershoes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mrau wrote:

why do You need 4?

one example is voice stacking/detuning without running out of polyphony, especially with instruments in 4op modes.

will there be a multi-timbral midi implementation for this synth?

Reply 4 of 5, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't play the piano or anything, but I would love to hear some demos! 😀 Looking forward to progress on this!

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 5 of 5, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Woo, nice! Looking forward to updates with great interest. 😀 I need to finally get around to my 8xSID build BTW.

mrau wrote:

looks nice. i'm probably to uneducated to ask serious question, but still - why do You need 4?

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want four chips!

At a REALLY basic level, you have four FM operators per chip, and the four chips are essentially bridged with Amplitude Modulation. You could build all kinds of crazy operator chains with this. Or just use them for extra voices in some monster polyphonic composition...

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!