How's the AWE64?

Topic actions

First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys,

why do I get the feeling that the retrocomputing (DOS / Win 3.xx environments) experts don't really like the AWE64 and tend to prefer the AWE32 or earlier models?

Thanks!

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 1 of 35, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

People who specifically value Sound Blaster Pro compatibility and/or genuine Yamaha OPL3 FM synthesis do not like the AWE64, because it has neither.

People who value Sound Blaster 16 compatibility, (relatively) noise-free output, (usually) hassle-free plug-n-play support and (somewhat limited in DOS) built-in General MIDI capabilities tend to like the AWE64.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 35, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

People who specifically value Sound Blaster Pro compatibility and/or genuine Yamaha OPL3 FM synthesis do not like the AWE64, because it has neither.

People who value Sound Blaster 16 compatibility, (relatively) noise-free output, (usually) hassle-free plug-n-play support and (somewhat limited in DOS) built-in General MIDI capabilities tend to like the AWE64.

Wow, great summary, thanks!

Then, I personally value the AWE64 ! 😁

Reply 3 of 35, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As per the AWE32, I'd personally value it. But it's usually sold for such high prices that they should make a movie, like "Crazy Rich ISA Sound Cards", or "ISA Sound Cards for Crazy Rich People", things like that

Reply 4 of 35, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an AWE64 but never used it for DOS era stuff.
As mentioned, all AWE64s use Creative's imitation of the OPL3, not the real Yamaha version, so that's one possible criticism. However, most AWE32s are the same way, only a small subset of AWE32s have the Yamaha OPL3.
People used to prefer the AWE32 because it uses standard SIMMs, but there are adapters to use standard SIMMs on the AWE64. I don't know what the availability is like for those adapters.

Personally my most simple reason for preferring the AWE32 is because that's what I had back then, and I have a good model of it that works. That's my nostalgia, and I have none for the AWE64.
But since they're expensive nowadays, if I had to buy another card I'd have to give the AWE64 some thought.

Another option is the "Sound Blaster 32" (not AWE32). There's little practical difference between AWE and non-AWE.

Reply 5 of 35, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote:
I have an AWE64 but never used it for DOS era stuff. As mentioned, all AWE64s use Creative's imitation of the OPL3, not the real […]
Show full quote

I have an AWE64 but never used it for DOS era stuff.
As mentioned, all AWE64s use Creative's imitation of the OPL3, not the real Yamaha version, so that's one possible criticism. However, most AWE32s are the same way, only a small subset of AWE32s have the Yamaha OPL3.
People used to prefer the AWE32 because it uses standard SIMMs, but there are adapters to use standard SIMMs on the AWE64. I don't know what the availability is like for those adapters.

Personally my most simple reason for preferring the AWE32 is because that's what I had back then, and I have a good model of it that works. That's my nostalgia, and I have none for the AWE64.
But since they're expensive nowadays, if I had to buy another card I'd have to give the AWE64 some thought.

Another option is the "Sound Blaster 32" (not AWE32). There's little practical difference between AWE and non-AWE.

Useful info, thanks.

So, now, the million dollar question is:

Why is the Yamaha OPL3 a thing and why should I give more than a Plank length about it?

Thanks!

Reply 6 of 35, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shamino wrote:

Does the non-AWE version lack the 1MB built-in ROM? This means that you cannot get MIDI-quality music from the DOS games that natively support AWE synth (the list is by no means exhaustive). But you can still get General MIDI in Windows, if you get the extra RAM and load up soundfonts.

aries-mu wrote:

Why is the Yamaha OPL3 a thing and why should I give more than a Plank length about it?

That will open a whole Pandora box, but in short - Yamaha OPL3 was the "gold standard" for FM music back then. Most FM soundtracks for games were composed and tested on OPL3. "Compatible" synthesizers such as the Creative CQM (used in the AWE64 and other Creative cards that do not have OPL3) do not sound the same. For some musical pieces it may sound just a bit off (enough to be ignored), for others - way off (enough to be annoying).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 7 of 35, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:
Does the non-AWE version lack the 1MB built-in ROM? This means that you cannot get MIDI-quality music from the DOS games that na […]
Show full quote
shamino wrote:

Does the non-AWE version lack the 1MB built-in ROM? This means that you cannot get MIDI-quality music from the DOS games that natively support AWE synth (the list is by no means exhaustive). But you can still get General MIDI in Windows, if you get the extra RAM and load up soundfonts.

aries-mu wrote:

That will open a whole Pandora box, but in short - Yamaha OPL3 was the "gold standard" for FM music back then. Most FM soundtracks for games were composed and tested on OPL3. "Compatible" synthesizers such as the Creative CQM (used in the AWE64 and other Creative cards that do not have OPL3) do not sound the same. For some musical pieces it may sound just a bit off (enough to be ignored), for others - way off (enough to be annoying).

Whoa I surely didn't want to open the Pandora box!

Thanks again!

All interesting stuff tho

Reply 9 of 35, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

The real question is do you value the AWE64 Value?

LoL! (well, it depends by my budget 😁 )

Reply 11 of 35, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

Usually the CT4500 is the cheapest AWE64 (even if it is a value one)

Thanks!

Reply 12 of 35, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You shouldn't. CQM is good enough. It just sounds different in some cases, but not bad as some people may claim.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2018-09-06, 12:31. Edited 2 times in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 13 of 35, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

You shouldn't. CQM is good enough.

Thanks!!!

PS: I can see the 2 schools operating and confronting! 😁

Reply 14 of 35, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Let your own ears judge for themselves.
OPL3 implementations (ESFM, Crystal FM, dual OPL3 etc)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hzxE1_nl0k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6IITanvS6Y

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 15 of 35, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote:
shamino wrote:

The SB32 model I've used is the CT3600. Mine no longer works properly, but it definitely has the built-in wavetable samples. When I played MIDIs with it, I remember it sounding like my AWE32 does, but I didn't directly compare them.
I don't remember if I tried it in DOS.
I think the differences relate to some of the DSP type stuff, and some deficiency in the mixer options of the SB32.

Reply 16 of 35, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Low-end Vibras vs normal and customised high-end* Sound blasters. Proper OPL3 Vibra 16S sounds awful too though.

*For sound blasters anyway.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 17 of 35, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
Let your own ears judge for themselves. OPL3 implementations (ESFM, Crystal FM, dual OPL3 etc) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= […]
Show full quote

Let your own ears judge for themselves.
OPL3 implementations (ESFM, Crystal FM, dual OPL3 etc)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hzxE1_nl0k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6IITanvS6Y

That last video definitely reminded me of why I went back to my AWE32 with the Yamaha OPL3 from the AWE64.
Granted, for those using external midi synths, the AWE64 is better with no hanging notes and cleaner outputs.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 18 of 35, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shamino wrote:

The SB32 model I've used is the CT3600. Mine no longer works properly, but it definitely has the built-in wavetable samples. When I played MIDIs with it, I remember it sounding like my AWE32 does, but I didn't directly compare them.

Yes, you are right. It appears that it what it lacks is the integrated RAM. However, the 512KB on the Value SKUs is already too low for useful soundfonts, so you'd have to use expansion RAM anyways, and for that purpose - standard SIMM slots are better than the proprietary Creative expansion modules which you'd fine on the AWE64.

The following video demonstrates that the SB32 CT3600 does have fully working AWE MIDI:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5STruT-gzhM

Reply 19 of 35, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

wow guys, I'm happy to see that my thread sparked such interesting and comprehensive discussions and resources!
Thank you all!! 😊