VOGONS

First post, by Shadic95

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So just yesterday, my friend received a Roland SC-55 MKii in the mail.

First thing we did when we got it was reset it to factory default so all recordings we did would sound as they should, and then we recorded 2 songs.

All was going fine, but when the songs were sent my way, I noticed some missing instruments from both songs we recorded.

To make sure it wasn't a song issue, I played back the same midi files on the latest version of Sound Canvas VA in SC-55 mode.

Those recordings did not have any notes cut out at all, so we wonder if it could either be a hardware issue, software issue with our player, or perhaps just a limitation with the SC-55MKii.

We both used Vanbasco's Karaoke Player for our recordings from the SC-55 MKii and Sound Canvas VA. This software has never failed us in the past, so I would be surprised if it's issue with the software.

The midi cables he is using is the Roland UM-ONE and his OS is Windows 10.

I will be providing a link for you all to check out. In it, you will find FLAC recordings of the 2 songs from both of the synths, as well as the midi files used for each song.

For tt_theme.mid, i don't really have a proper OST release so you guys know how it should sound, so you will have to take my word when I say Sound Canvas VA plays all the notes as it should.

For Who Turned Out The Light's, this one is interesting, as it was ripped from a Genesis game called Earthworm Jim, and the midi and CD Audio version on the Soundtrack Release of Earthworm Jim are pretty much 1:1. Because of this, I have included a rip of the CD Audio version of the song, if you need a point of reference, refer to that.

With all of that technical jargon out of the way, here is the download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H7fiQC86ncP … yrtraJS-kCKQWMt

Sidenote, does anyone know why SC-VA sounds "softer" when compared to the real deal?

Reply 2 of 4, by a0divided

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The SC-55 mkii has a maximum polyphony of 28 simultaneous voices, meaning that it can play back only 28 instrument sounds at once. As a result, you will run into problems with notes cutting off in compositions that exceed the amount. Also, a number of instruments use 2 or more sounds/voices like strings, pianos, pads, etc., so the max limit could be reached even earlier.

The Sound Canvas VA has 64-voice polyphony, so it does much better in terms of note cutoffs.

Though if you want to minimize (but not prevent) the amount of note cutoffs on the SC-55 mkii, looking into a feature called "Voice Reserve" could help:

Apparently not all GS-only sc-55s are the same, some are GM (last two posts on the bottom and the next few posts by user James-F)

Hope this helps.

Reply 3 of 4, by Dusko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, I know this thread is over a year old but I'm curious about something, selecting the "SC-55 map" on a SC-88vl (or pro), does that cuts the 64 Polyphony to 24?

https://www.youtube.com/@myoldpc9458