VOGONS

First post, by gryffinwings

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm wanting to buy a sound card, but I am not sure what I would get, my first thought is to get a Sound Blaster Audigy, as you can get them cheap on Ebay, but since I'm here now, I'd like some recommendations on what else I could get, the only other option I hear that is good is the Diamond Multimedia Monster Sound with the Aureal Vortex 2 chip. I like to play games and listen to music. The motherboard is the Asus A7V266-E with the C-Media CMI873 audio chip, which sounds ok, but I figure I could probably improve upon this. Also, I'm currently running Windows XP.

Main Computer: Custom - Intel 12900K, Asus Nvidia 3080 Ti, 64 GB DDR5.
Retro Computer: Packard Bell Legend I - AMD 286, 640KB RAM
Retro Computer: Dell Dimension 4400 - Pentium 4 2.8 GHz FSB 400 MHz, ATi Radeon 9600XT, Sound Blaster Live!, 768 MB RAM.

Reply 1 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Audigy 2 ZS or X-Fi (not audio express as it does not use the real X-Fi chip).

Some would say an Aureal for 3d sound though.

The Audigy 2 ZS or X-Fi card will have a higher SNR (better, cleaner sound) though so if you are using hi quality headphones or a good stereo setup you should be able to tell a difference.

Either is cheap enough so you could get both.

Don't worry about getting a Diamond branded Aureal based card. Any with the 8830 chipset will be fine.
Here is one from a Dell machine (Turtle Beach) that is currently $10.16 shipped
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Dimension-3000- … 1D/323424603351

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 3, by gryffinwings

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
Audigy 2 ZS or X-Fi (not audio express as it does not use the real X-Fi chip). […]
Show full quote

Audigy 2 ZS or X-Fi (not audio express as it does not use the real X-Fi chip).

Some would say an Aureal for 3d sound though.

The Audigy 2 ZS or X-Fi card will have a higher SNR (better, cleaner sound) though so if you are using hi quality headphones or a good stereo setup you should be able to tell a difference.

Either is cheap enough so you could get both.

Don't worry about getting a Diamond branded Aureal based card. Any with the 8830 chipset will be fine.
Here is one from a Dell machine (Turtle Beach) that is currently $10.16 shipped
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Dimension-3000- … 1D/323424603351

This is very helpful, those Diamond cards are kind of expensive, what's the difference for between the dell card and the diamond card?

Any major differences between the x-fi and the audigy 2 zs? I noticed the x-fi had a cleaner lay out. Seems like either one is going to be good, which ever is cheapest.

I was thinking about adding a second card later too like an M-Audio Audiophile 2496, but I hear that it's mainly just for music, but I will have to have better speakers to take advantage of them.

Main Computer: Custom - Intel 12900K, Asus Nvidia 3080 Ti, 64 GB DDR5.
Retro Computer: Packard Bell Legend I - AMD 286, 640KB RAM
Retro Computer: Dell Dimension 4400 - Pentium 4 2.8 GHz FSB 400 MHz, ATi Radeon 9600XT, Sound Blaster Live!, 768 MB RAM.

Reply 3 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The X-Fi is newer. It is going to have cleaner output and people like the surround for headphones a lot better.

The drivers are going to be better overall as well.

I've never personally compared the two.

I don't have one of the Diamond branded vortex 2 cards, but the Turtle Beach and the Diamond card should sound pretty much the same. Same chipset and the codec should be very similar.

I think the Diamond branded card is just more well known and a bit less common so it fetches a higher price.

The turtle Beach cards came in Dell machines so there are a ton of them out there. There are also a different versions with the same Dell model number. Just have to make sure you get the one, like I linked, with the Vortex 2 chipset.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK