VOGONS

First post, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm working on a multi sound card build, which I hope will be able to play back pretty much anything designed for any even marginally mainstream sound card/module. My first iteration will be a combination of Aztech NX Pro (with real OPL3 and support for AdLib, SB, SBPro2 and Coxox/DSS), Soundblaster 32 CT3670 (for SB16 compatibility) and GUS Classic, with a MT-32 and GM/GS capable Roland piano via MIDI. All of this will have to work under DOS on an So7 motherboard.

Now, the big issue is of course resources. I intend to run the NX Pro's Soundblaster on A220 I7 D1, and use its MIDI at A330 I2 for the Roland stuff. That leaves the rest for the GUS and the SB32. The GUS will probably work with 240,6,6,11,11 (the last digit irrelevant as FM and MIDI are disabled) In the case of the 32, I only really need the SB16 support, but it looks like I need to configure the whole legacy SB as well to get it working. That means A260 I5 D3 H5 - which complicates matters. Is there any way to economize on resources between the SB Pro (clone) and the SB 16? I.e. by sharing IRQ or (low) DMA as only one of the two cards will ever be used at any given time.

All is not lost if I can't reduce it: it should be possible to get this config working, and if I can, it means I can compare the NX Pro's OPL with the SB32's CQM without changing anything other than game settings (at least, so long as the games let me select DMA 3...). But it will certainly limit my options to add a fourth card in the future, and I'm a bit concerned about being able to get a network card to work with this config too.

Reply 1 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For DOS, you can just make a menus for config.sys (would this be needed?) and for Autoexec.bat and then choose which sound card when you boot.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 3, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That would cover the SET BLASTER variable, but what about the IRQs and DMAs? If I were to put both on the same IRQ and/or DMA, how would the cards know which one a command was for?

Reply 3 of 3, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the SB32 is configured via PnP (can't remember), just don't initialize it if you're not going to use it. No CTCM, no diagnose.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder