VOGONS

First post, by CornBrown

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm planning on getting an awe64 but one thing is uncertain:

after adding the soundfonts, do they remain after reboot or do they need to be re-loaded every time?

Reply 1 of 4, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They must be re-loaded since you are loading it into RAM.
However, whatever you select (specify) as your soundfont bank, will be loaded every time upon booting up (either under DOS or Windows).

Reply 2 of 4, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jesolo wrote:

However, whatever you select (specify) as your soundfont bank, will be loaded every time upon booting up (either under DOS or Windows).

I do not believe you can load soundfonts in DOS? Only GM or MT32 emulation is possible.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 4, by CornBrown

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Loading soundonts into awe64

That's what i figured because of the ram on the card itself. Nice to know the windows program does it automatically though.

Reply 4 of 4, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

I do not believe you can load soundfonts in DOS? Only GM or MT32 emulation is possible.

Yes, you can. However, Aweutil only supports version 1 soundfonts (*.sbk).
You just have to rename your GM soundfont to "synthgm.sbk" and place it in the same folder as where your other *.sbk files are located (nornally C:\SB16\SFBANK). Just remember to backup the original "synthgm.sbk" file.

On top of that, only "real mode" DOS games will be able to make use of this. Protected mode games must support the AWE card directly and will then automatically utilise the 1MB on-board ROM sample set.