VOGONS

First post, by devlin44

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

A few years ago I acquired Adlib Gold, installed it on 386 machine and played Dune to test if it works, and it did (at least I think it did - the sound was OK for me, I'm no expert). Last week I finally took the card out of a box and noticed my card differs from the ones on photos on the web - mine has less capacitors, compared to other photos. The question is - is it safe to run the card? Are there different versions of the card? Should I install the capacitors?
My card photo is attached, compare it to www.wavetable.nl/files/devices/AdLib%20 ... resize.jpg - my card does not have the capacitors on the left hand side of the card.

All help is appreciated.

Attachments

• adlibgold.jpg
    Filename
    adlibgold.jpg
    File size
    1.08 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    my Adlib Gold card
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I hate to bring bad news but your card had these caps ripped off it... you really need to replace them.
As for the values of them? no idea. You need to ask another owner or find a picture that shows them so we can be 100% sure what is needed...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 8, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As keropi said, please install the caps.
Maybe it is not easy to find an owner of the card.
But it should be easy to guess the capacity.
Check out the tantals on the bottom right of the card. Do all have the same Specs?
Typical are 16V and 10uF.
For the electrolyte Cap, should be the same as the fat ones next to the output. My guess 16V 470uF which is typical for other soundcards.
Good luck.

Last edited by moturimi1 on 2018-10-05, 22:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As the other said. Also if you don't have soldered before: Don't use the AdLib Gold as your first -uhm- patient.
While soldering isn't hard, it needs a bit of training (which involves holding the soldering iron correctly, not overheating the solder
joints, using flux, applying the solder correctly etc.) People at a Maker Faire (?) or a friendly CB radio/amateur radio/
electronics tinkerer/model maker (-> RC cars, boats, etc) person in your neighbourhood might be able to solder these caps for you.
Anyway, just saying, since I don't know your skills. It's no offense. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 8, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I checked the values on my card. So small and hard to read!

file.jpg
Filename
file.jpg
File size
1.48 MiB
Views
File license

Only one has a weird value "106 +16K" but it seems that you can find it :

5150_16K_64K_tantalum_example.jpg
Filename
5150_16K_64K_tantalum_example.jpg
File size
174.1 KiB
Views
File license

Hope this helps.
If anyone wants to confirm the values (my eyes are tired), even better.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 5 of 8, by devlin44

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for all the replies, I will definitely get these caps and have them soldered by someone who is well trained in that matter. The only problem could be acquiring the "106" cap, the rest is availabe at my local electronic shop.

Reply 6 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can confirm that the tantalum "106 16K" capacitor is a 10μF 16v one
So it's an easy repair job , the caps are all pretty common. devlin44 get some good name ones for such a card 😀

tip: when in doubt about caps/resistors use this site => http://kiloohm.info/3-digit-capacitor/106

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 8, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
devlin44 wrote:

Thank you for all the replies, I will definitely get these caps and have them soldered by someone who is well trained in that matter. The only problem could be acquiring the "106" cap, the rest is availabe at my local electronic shop.

I would offer to do this job for you, don't know where you live, but that card deserves to be put into good order. And i would have the chance to touch this card at least once in my lifetime. 🤣 🤣