VOGONS

First post, by Sev80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

I'm a n00b with the GUS, I set it up in dos and im trying to play games like Duke3d and Doom2. The digital sound portion works correctly but I am not getting any music. I downloaded the latested GUS drivers for DOS from Vogons and set it up sucessfully but not sure if I am missing anything else. Any ideas?

Reply 3 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Assuming that ultrasnd and ultradir environment variables are set correctly and that the card is initialized by iwinit.exe , it should work .

Does the directory specified in the ultradir variable contain a midi subdirectory full of *.pat files ?

Reply 4 of 6, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You likely don't have the original UltraSound patch set installed. The required installer can be found on the CD; look in the SETUP sub-directory for SETRAM.EXE. Run that and let it install into the same directory as your GUS PnP software installation (usually \GRAVIS\ULTRASND). Done correctly, this will create a MIDI sub-directory (so \GRAVIS\ULTRASND\MIDI by default), and you will have a collection of over 200 .PAT files there. This should get full GF1 UltraSound compatibility working.

If you don't have the CD, it can be found on vogonsdrivers.com.

If you have any other questions or problems with the process, feel free to ask.

Reply 5 of 6, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you fix it?

Can you post a screenshot of the initialization of the card ?

iwinit -v9

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3