VOGONS

First post, by w0lf42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Questions
I'm trying to get the MIDI sound routed out via my Yamaha MU80 in the games that support it. Do I need to adjust my settings? Are these the wrong versions of the games? Do I need to install/configure SoftMPU?

Background
I have a somewhat complicated sound setup. I've done this for a variety of reasons which I won't go into detail here. But, I will outline how my sound is configured in DOS.

The Yamaha YMF719E-S accepts the MIDI sound and sends it out the game port (via a break out cable) to the Yamaha MU80. The MIDI is processed there and goes out into the CD Analog input on my Sound Blaster Live. All of the other sounds are processed on the Yamaha YMF719E-S and sent out into the Line In Analog input on the Sound Blaster Live. Finally, the sound is set to the speaker via the Coaxial Digital out.

In both DOSMid and SETYMF (the Yamaha driver utility) this works great. But, in both Tie Fighter and Descent, the MIDI sound is processed on the Yamaha YMF719E-S -- not sent to the Yamaha MU80.

Hardware

• Motherboard - DFI CA64 SOCKET 370 VIA Apollo Pro133A
  • CPU - INTEL PENTIUM 3 1GHz
  • RAM - 512MB PC133 133MHz 168Pin SDRAM
  • Sound Card - Yamaha (ISA) YMF719E-S
  • Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 (PCI) SB0060
  • Sound Module - Yamaha MU80

Operating System

• DOS 7.10 (Windows 98SE)

Drivers / Software

Settings

• Sound Blaster
    ek1m -b
    ek1m -as mix
    ek1m -ai aux 100
    ek1m -ai line 100
    ek1m -ai cd 100
    ek1m -io ac97 100 100 100 100 100 100
    • Yamaha
      IRQ 5
      DMA 3
      MPU-401 Port 330

Games

Last edited by w0lf42 on 2019-01-26, 18:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by w0lf42

User metadata
    Rank Newbie
    Rank

The short answer is that's it's working. The long answer is -- other than a few DMA/IRQ/ETC settings -- I'm not sure exactly what I did.

I installed The Ultimate Doom and I have all of the wonderful sounds working. It looks like I just need to sort out some of the game-specific sound settings.

Reply 2 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
    Rank l33t
    Rank
    l33t

Isn't it just a matter of configuring the game(s) to play music through the General MIDI output on Port 0x330?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 5, by PARUS

User metadata
    Rank Oldbie
    Rank
    Oldbie

For the practise we need SoftMPU only in cases when it is necessary to get intelligent mode or/and to send midi through COM port. In all other cases we can use MIDI in games without SoftMPU.

I advise to change DMA on Yamaha. "SBpro" card should have 220/7/1 or 220/5/1 scheme.

Reply 5 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
    Rank l33t++
    Rank
    l33t++

It's tradition.
    https://youtu.be/cf6SaA-Kdro?t=119

Titles that are hard coded will always look for a card with those settings. Other IO addresses and IRQ settings were less commonly used therefore less reliably detected.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder