VOGONS

First post, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I was changing motherboards like 10 times because can't make up my mind what I want in my latest Case and wired it wrong to the 12v and saw smoke form behind turbo button, I immediately turned off the pc.

Everything works, display and button was still working and confirmed turbo working too but it lost its springiness, probably from some melted plastic.

I took it apart and unfortunately broke the plastic mechanism inside, which was probably broken anyway since it would press in but not depress unless pulled out.

So I am trying to find a new button, the actual mechanism that goes behind the round button on the case.

Its like a little spring push button with 6 connections 3 on each side. (can't post picture because its broken to small pieces now)

I have no idea where to look for a replacent, couldn't find anything on google/ebay. Anybody have any idea what part number or keyword I can use to search for it?

Reply 1 of 6, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These below are advertized as standard ATX switches but on the photo they appear to be of the 2x3 pin variety that you need for a turbo switch setup. Maybe you could inquire if they are like on the photo.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Standard-ATX-Computer … s-/191732800527

edit: Also inquire if they stay in position when pressed in.

Reply 4 of 6, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
treeman wrote:
So I was changing motherboards like 10 times because can't make up my mind what I want in my latest Case and wired it wrong to t […]
Show full quote

So I was changing motherboards like 10 times because can't make up my mind what I want in my latest Case and wired it wrong to the 12v and saw smoke form behind turbo button, I immediately turned off the pc.

Everything works, display and button was still working and confirmed turbo working too but it lost its springiness, probably from some melted plastic.

I took it apart and unfortunately broke the plastic mechanism inside, which was probably broken anyway since it would press in but not depress unless pulled out.

So I am trying to find a new button, the actual mechanism that goes behind the round button on the case.

Its like a little spring push button with 6 connections 3 on each side. (can't post picture because its broken to small pieces now)

I have no idea where to look for a replacent, couldn't find anything on google/ebay. Anybody have any idea what part number or keyword I can use to search for it?

Wow, that's funny. Sort-of.
I had the exact same thing happen to me 4 days ago.
In my case the button melted to the point of being jammed inside and the wiring started to smoke badly. All that in a matter of under 10 seconds.

What I discovered is that the motherboard, in my case a MS-4144 has 3 turbo pins, 1 ground, 1 for turbo-disabling and 1 at 5v in that order. (GND disblTURBO 5volt)
The switch however has a different order of pins, where the common pin comes first, then NO and lastly NC. (COMMON NO NC)
NC = normally closed, NO = normally open

As you can see, if you wire the pins 1:1, and you disable TURBO, you basically get a full short, also smoke and lots of swearing and praying that its not fatal to the mobo (and I'm an atheist, 🤣).

Be sure that your wiring is ok, because mine actually had melted away in places, and could potentially touch parts of the case.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 5 of 6, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought my replacement locally but also bought some extras on AliExpress

8.5*8.5mm push button switch self-locking tactile switches ON/OFF 6PIN

HTB1chBUOFXXXXcpaXXXq6xXFXXXV.jpg?size=93489&height=800&width=800&hash=520a4b7ae3b976d25b0923ae1ba93a43

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 6 of 6, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yessss tpowell.ca that is the exact same button! thank you! I didn't think it would be so easy!

On my mobo the first 2 pins are not labelled then next 3 pins say turbo switch so naturally I assumed turbo switch is the first 2 pins and thr writing is slightly shifted to the right...
wrong checking stason.org pinout after the fact the first 2 pins are 12v and ground so yes mine melted in too.
I disassembled it and pulled out the switch with pliers, connected to the correct 3 pins next in row and was still working with the technique of pressing it then using pliers to depress. My wiring is luckily ok and I am very happy to see there is a direct replacement. thanks so much for posting that picture!
oh yeah my. motherboard is the famous MB-8433UUD-A