VOGONS

First post, by Lawro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought it might be interesting if we could compile a list of the chronology of the various SB16 revisions by year. Or, if we don't want to stop there, all old SB revisions! To my knowledge there isn't one.

It could be useful for collectors, and great for general interest. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out, but will probably rely on people with boxed products to check the manuals.

Selfishly I'm trying to track down the specific SB16 I had in 1994, which was definitely from 1994. I know it wasn't a value/budget version, and came with the nice thick yellow and blue manuals and Sound Blaster 16 CD (you can, at present, see the type of manuals and CD I'm talking about if you do an eBay search for 'Sound Blaster 16 1994').

Reply 1 of 3, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There were various revisions of different model numbers.
I would recommend a Google doc (or something similar) that users can update.

You can start by categorising each Sound Blaster card by model (Sound Blaster 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, Pro, SB16, SB32 AWE32, AWE64, etc.), then by model number (CT2230, CT3980, CT4380, etc.) and then by revision.
The latter is usually printed on the PCB in the format of XXYYZZ, where XX = revision, YY = year and ZZ = week of manufacture.

I think that there are already such lists out there but, I'm not sure how complete or accurate they are (most of these only goes up to model number).

Reply 2 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is a thread about the Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 revisions.
Sound Blaster Pro 2 CT1600 Revisions

Here is some more info that looks like it includes all of the ISA Sound Blaster cards.
https://ilovepa.ws/2017/06/13/the-legendary-sound-blaster/

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK