VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Am I right in thinking that this (Soundware CD 45) is a daughterboard attachment for a classic model Advanced Gravis Ultrasound card, and if so, it's for 16-bit recording? Any comments on this unusual piece of retro PC nostalgia would be appreciated! Thanks a lot!

soundware cd 45 50percentSize.JPG
Filename
soundware cd 45 50percentSize.JPG
File size
1.13 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 6, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know that much about PCB's and chips but this seems too simple for an audio recording add-on. It connects to the ISA bus through the GUS and has CD in it's name... Isn't this some kind of CD-ROM interface?

YouTube

Reply 2 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems to be only for connecting a CD drive to the machine. I don't know what sort of CD interface is being used.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 6, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks very much for all the helpful advice! I mistakenly thought it might be for recording, because I looked at the wikipedia entry for the GUS, and it mentioned a recording daughterboard add-on, so and I assumed it was this. So sorry, my bad!

I wonder if the wikipedia entry could be expanded, to mention this CD drive add-on daughterboard?

Yes, it would be interesting to figure out what type of CD-ROM it supports. It would be nice it was for ATAPI, rather than a proprietory device.

Thanks a lot.

Reply 4 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is mention of mitsumi, panasonic, and possibly sony daughtercards.
http://www.gravisultrasound.com/files/UDD/vol … /1994-03-22.TXT

From the looks of it.. I am guessing mitsumi, but I could be wrong.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 6, by exobot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't say much about your card as such, but it might not be one of those $30 direct from Gravis ones. I recently came across a Gravis branded Sony/Mitsumi interface daughtercard, and it looks very different from this one. Soundware could've produced their own (licensed or not), since it's only really piggybacking of the GUS for ISA pins rather than interfacing with the card itself.

My daughtercard is still in the mail for now, I'll create a dedicated topic with images once I have it on hand, hopefully next week. I know I'm replying to an older post, but I thought it made sense for the purposes of documentiation.