VOGONS

First post, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys.
I have a chance to buy SC-88 non-Pro for 130$. Would you say, that's reasonable price, or it's overpriced like almost all Roland stuff nowadays?

Also, what's the compatibility with SC-55?

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 1 of 9, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Srandista wrote:

Hi guys.
I have a chance to buy SC-88 non-Pro for 130$. Would you say, that's reasonable price, or it's overpriced like almost all Roland stuff nowadays?

Also, what's the compatibility with SC-55?

Having bought numerous different Roland devices here in Canada using classified ads, I would say that unless it is in absolute mint condition with manuals and OE power brick, it is on the expensive side.
Ironically, had that been an SC-55 mkII, then I would say it is a good price.

The SC-88 is somewhat backwards compatible with the SC-55, but having some instruments replaced (even in the SC-55 map) and a different engine means that you may hear some (minor) differences between it and a genuine SC-55.
I'd wait and look for an SC-55.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 2 of 9, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If for gaming purposes, an original (mark 1) SC-55 would be best suitable.
Although the SC-55 MkII has 28-voice polyphony (the original SC-55 has 24-voice), still a few games will sound wrong on the MkII.

Some music will have notes cut-off despite the increased polyphony. This has to do with the way some of the voices in the MkII are built-up. Where in the original some voices have just one layer, in the MkII they consist of 2 or sometimes more layers, effectively taking up more voices for one note.

The other problem you sometimes have is the -NO INSTRUMENT- on mainly the drum channel (10) with some games. Don't really know why this sometimes is the case since all the drumkits are available in either version.

Quality-wise it's better though, and it has 354 voices instead of 317.

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 3 of 9, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Salient wrote:
If for gaming purposes, an original (mark 1) SC-55 would be best suitable. Although the SC-55 MkII has 28-voice polyphony (the o […]
Show full quote

If for gaming purposes, an original (mark 1) SC-55 would be best suitable.
Although the SC-55 MkII has 28-voice polyphony (the original SC-55 has 24-voice), still a few games will sound wrong on the MkII.

Some music will have notes cut-off despite the increased polyphony. This has to do with the way some of the voices in the MkII are built-up. Where in the original some voices have just one layer, in the MkII they consist of 2 or sometimes more layers, effectively taking up more voices for one note.

The other problem you sometimes have is the -NO INSTRUMENT- on mainly the drum channel (10) with some games. Don't really know why this sometimes is the case since all the drumkits are available in either version.

Quality-wise it's better though, and it has 354 voices instead of 317.

This is true, except that even with a mkI unit, you may face the same NO INSTRUMENT issues. You need a unit with ROM version 1.21 or earlier. The feature that was removed from subsequent units is known as Capital Tone Fallback.
I would not limit myself by this though for the handful of games that need it, and for which many have patches.

Go for an SC-55, any version, and you'll be happy and you'll cover 99.9% of your bases.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB

Reply 4 of 9, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tpowell.ca wrote:

This is true, except that even with a mkI unit, you may face the same NO INSTRUMENT issues. You need a unit with ROM version 1.21 or earlier. The feature that was removed from subsequent units is known as Capital Tone Fallback.
I would not limit myself by this though for the handful of games that need it, and for which many have patches.

Go for an SC-55, any version, and you'll be happy and you'll cover 99.9% of your bases.

Yes, it was the Captial tone fall-back that was removed, now I remember. Thanks for dusting of my brain! 😀

How would you know what revision SC-55 you have?
As far as I know there are 3 models which can be identified from the outside: The "GS" version, the "GS Standard" version and the "GS/GM" version. I own the last mentioned one myself, but I have no clue how to see the firmware/revision of the device.

Reply 5 of 9, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Salient wrote:
Yes, it was the Captial tone fall-back that was removed, now I remember. Thanks for dusting of my brain! :) […]
Show full quote
tpowell.ca wrote:

Yes, it was the Captial tone fall-back that was removed, now I remember. Thanks for dusting of my brain! 😀

How would you know what revision SC-55 you have?
As far as I know there are 3 models which can be identified from the outside: The "GS" version, the "GS Standard" version and the "GS/GM" version. I own the last mentioned one myself, but I have no clue how to see the firmware/revision of the device.

You really can't use the print on the front of the unit to know what you have.
The only true way would be to use the service menu by first putting the unit in standby mode (orange led is lit) and pressing simultaneously: both "Instrument" buttons and both "Midi Ch" buttons.

Reply 6 of 9, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tpowell.ca wrote:

The only true way would be to use the service menu by first putting the unit in standby mode (orange led is lit) and pressing simultaneously: both "Instrument" buttons and both "Midi Ch" buttons.

I tried this just now but I don't see any hidden menu, just the INIT ALL that comes with pressing both instrument buttons.

Reply 7 of 9, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Salient wrote:
tpowell.ca wrote:

I tried this just now but I don't see any hidden menu, just the INIT ALL that comes with pressing both instrument buttons.

You need to hold down all 4 buttons.

Reply 8 of 9, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tpowell.ca wrote:

You need to hold down all 4 buttons.

I did, at least I believe I did. When I am home again I'll try once more.

Reply 9 of 9, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just managed to see the ROM info:

Ver 2.00 208200203
'92
03/09